Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Corn and Bean Salsa

Typically I usually share tried and true recipes that we love. But everything I'd like to blog about - I haven't done. Yet.

August seems like the perfect time to share recipes to preserve the garden bounty. But my tomatoes are so slow at ripening, I finally gave up watching them and started school this week. Whenever they decide to turn red, we'll take off a day and do tomatoes.

For the rest of the week, I'm going to share preserving recipes that I would like to make.

If and when I make these recipes, I'll be back to share pictures. In the mean time, maybe you want to give these recipes a try. All these recipes come from great cooks and come highly recommended.

Corn and Bean Salsa

The first recipe is from my sister-in-law Sonya. She often introduces me to something I'd never attempted on my own. I have a little late corn that is almost ready, then I'm making this!

1 gal.(or more)  peeled and chunked tomatoes ( I discard most of the seeds & juicy centers)
5 large chopped onions
1 large green pepper

I just throw these next three ingredients in a food processor and finely chop.
4 jalapenos and 2 serrano peppers (just because the neighbor gave them to me, you can just use 1 extra jalapeno instead of of serranos)
1/3 bunch of cilantro
7 large cloves of garlic

4 cups of cut-off fresh corn
2/3 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of salt
1/4 cup of vinegar

Simmer 1/2-1 hr. until mixture is reduced and desired consistency. If desired, add a thickener such as cornstarch.
Add  
1 large can of black beans (drained & rinsed)
Stir, ladle into jars, and can for 15 min.

All of these amounts are approximate, and can be tweaked to your preferences. My salsa was really mild, so if you would like to pep it up a bit, leave the jalapeno seeds in.

Edit to add: Jami reminded me that a low acid salsa needs to be pressure canned. The corn and beans in this recipe make it low acid. I'd recommend pressure canning it to be safe. Also, thickening salsa is not recommended by the experts. Use the recipe at your own risk.

2 comments :

  1. This looks really good, Gina!

    I'm assuming by "can 15 minutes" that this is pressure canning, as the ratio of low-acid foods (onions, garlic, peppers, and corn) to only 1/4 cup of vinegar is not safe for water-bath. Is this correct?

    I look forward to your posts - you always have recipes I haven't seen before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jami
    Good question! I'll need to ask her.

    Do you know how to figure out the proper ratio for acid food? It is a question I've wondered before and never found a good answer.

    Gina

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails