Saturday, August 27, 2011

Peach Salsa

A friend gave me a jar of peach salsa last week. Ed and I opened it one night after the children were in bed. Maybe I shouldn't admit that we consumed most of the jar! I finally said that we had to stop since I wanted a little left to photo!

This stuff is awesome! It is a sweet mild salsa, though the heat could be adjusted to your taste.


Peach Salsa

10 lb tomatoes - cubed
5 lb peaches - peeled and chopped
5 cup onion - chopped
2 jalapeno peppers - chopped
10 green sweet peppers - chopped
3/4 bunch cilantro
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp oregano
3 tsp cumin
3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 pack Mrs Wages salsa mix
3 heaping T clear gel
1 can tomato paste

Bring everything to boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Can 20 minutes.

Disclaimer: I've discussed the safety of canning recipes with some of you. To me this recipe seems safe since it contains tomatoes and peaches, both high acid ingredients, and vinegar to acidify the onion and peppers. But it does have clear gel, an ingredient not recommended in salsa by the experts. So make your own decision at your own risk.

12 comments :

  1. Thanks for the recipe!

    We get a mango salsa from Costco that we all love! It looks a lot like your peach salsa!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds very delicious and looks very delicious too. Thank you for the recipe !!
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this 'clear gel' , is this something you buy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gina, I hope Hurricane Irene has not caused you folks any harm or damage. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simone - Clear Gel is a thickener but unlike cornstarch, it stays stable even when used for canning.

    Moon Rani- Besides a little wind and an inch of rain, the hurricane had no affect here. Thanks for thinking of us!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a peach salsa last year that we loved - forgot this year, somehow. Duh.

    I didn't know tomatoes were considered high acid ingredients. Why does the Ball Blue Book recommend a full HOUR in the waterbath?! (I usually do 30 minutes and I add lemon juice to the jars)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margo -
    Actually, I should clarify that tomatoes are considered borderline. A low acid vegetable MUST be canned in a pressure canner, unless it is pickled. Tomatoes have enough acid to be successfully boiling waterbath canned but like you mentioned, experts recommend adding lemon juice to make sure they contain enough acid.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does look amazing! If I wasn't positive you've already finished it, I'd probably come over and take it off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since exploring the internet I've found lots of wonderful canning recipes and processes that the "experts" don't recommend. I've come to the conclusion they don't know everything LOL This recipe looks yummy. If I can find a few more peaches I think I'll give it a try!

    I have awarded you the "Libster" award. Thanks for being such an inspiration to me!

    http://freedomacresfarm.blogspot.com/2011/09/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this salsa and we LOVE it! I also gave a jar to my sister and she polished it off quickly as well. She asked if she could buy more jars off of me! I didn't have the exact brand of salsa mix so I used Epicure's blend. Next time I may use a little more peaches to tomato ratio. Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I absolute love the Amish style peach salsa. I bought a pint at our local Mennonite store and ate the hole jar. Oops, I did not say that...did I. Question - Do you have a modified recipe to make approximately 1 pint for an event my daughter is hosting without canning an entire run.

    Thanks,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails