Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pickled Hot Peppers

Another recipe that I'd like to try. This one from my mom.


Pickled Hot Peppers

1 1/2 pounds banana peppers,sliced thinly
1 pound jalapeno peppers, sliced thinly
1/4 pound serrano peppers, sliced thinly
6 cups vinegar
2 cups water
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, chopped 

Place the banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, and serrano peppers into a large pot. Add the vinegar, water, garlic, and onion. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes. 

Ladle peppers into jars, and fill to the top with the liquid, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. 

Can in boiling water canner for 10 to 15 minutes. Refrigerate jars after opening.

Note: Though peppers are low acid, the vinegar makes them safe for boiling water canning. But I'm no scientist so use any recipe on this site at your own risk!:)

3 comments :

  1. This looks like fun for my hubby who likes banana peppers on his sub sandwiches!
    I wish I had seen this (or at least thought twice) before I put all of my available peppers into today's salsa. The mysterious but probably habaneros from someone else's garden should have stayed out! :o My hubby likes hot salsa, but so far this is tasting a bit beyond hot to him ...Sooo, next batch will be very purposely mild. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very similar to the recipe I use - and looks very safe. :-)

    My husband inhales these and a few years ago said he didn't like them mushy, so now I just refrigerate them along with our pickles. Gook thing we have that extra fridge in the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this I could eat! I love hot stuff. When I made salsa with my mother-in-law this week, I just threw in a handful more jalepenos than her recipe calls for, and left all the seeds on instead of cleaning the peppers like she does. It was perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails