Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars

In adapting recipes, I follow the tip from the Tightwad Gazette.   Make changes slowly. Each time make a note on your recipe. When your family complains, back up one notch.

For example, try decreasing the sugar by only a quarter cup. If that works, decrease by another quarter cup the next time. Not to be deceitful, but I wouldn't mention your changes to your children. If your children are like mine, they will scarf up anything called a brownie and containing chocolate!

I find that it is a balance. Maybe the original recipe tasted better with loaded sugar, but if I can decrease the sugar, fat, etc and the family still eats them greedily, why add the extra sugar.

I've also found that if I wait a few months, and then tackle a recipe again, our tastes may have changed enough to allow more adaptions.

So these recipes are only works in progress!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on adapting recipes.

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars

Adapted from Family Fun magazine

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
2 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup jam
1/2 cup chopped peanuts, optional

Beat butter and both sugars together. Blend in eggs and peanut butter. Mix in flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.

In greased 9x13 pan, spread two thirds of dough.  Spread jam evenly over top. Scatter small mounds of remaining dough over jam. Sprinkle with peanuts if desired.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Linked at Tasty Tuesday.
and Life as Mom

1 comment :

  1. These look yummy ~ I love to bake with fresh whole wheat flour =)
    (white flour cookies don't taste right to me anymore)

    Blog award for you ~ check it out at my blog! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails