Thursday, July 22, 2010

Whole Wheat Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies


These brownies are deep and rich, definitely for the chocolate lover. I won't pretend they are good for you, but they sure taste good.

I have found a few tips in baking brownies with whole wheat flour.

The first is NOT to over bake.  The general method of baking until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bars comes out clean - does not work for brownies. I bake until the outside edges are slightly browned (which doesn't work for this recipe since they are so dark) or dry looking. The center of the bars will still be gooey and damp looking. As they cool, they will continue to bake. The result will be a moist and chewy brownie.

Whole wheat flour has a tendency to make baked goods taste grainy or gritty. As much as I want to dive in a eat these the first day, I find that waiting a day before cutting and serving really helps. Apparently, the bran in the whole wheat flour softens and becomes less obtrusive.

Do you have any tips for baking with whole grains?

Whole Wheat Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

1 cup butter
2 cup brown sugar (or a little less)
3 eggs
1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cocoa
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup milk

Cream butter and sugar together. Mix in eggs and yogurt until well blended. Stir in flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.

Spread half of dough in greased 9x13 pan. In another bowl, mix peanut butter and milk together. Add more milk if needed to make peanut butter easily spreadable. Spread peanut butter over chocolate dough. Top with remaining dough.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

If you don't care for peanut butter, you could probably just omit the peanut butter layer for a chocolate fudge brownie.

9 comments :

  1. Yum yum yum! I am SO enjoying these posts this week! thanks for the good ideas. I am excited to find some reasons to make these bars! Thanks Gina for sharing! Sometime, I might try grinding up my oats into oat flour and subbing some of that in. I love brownie/bar recipes with oats as well ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying them as we speak. They are cooking in the oven. I used half honey and half Rapadura instead of the sugar so I am crossing my fingers and hoping it works out but it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! Let me know if your adjustments work!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog.... I am loving these recipes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I found your blog tonight for the first time! I actually typed in a search engine "chickens for children" and one of you chicken posts came up. I hit the home button and was so excited to read a little of your blog! We are a family who strives to serve Jesus and are currently expecting our 4th child this November! We live in a suburban neighborhood in northern California, but are trying to make some changes to help our kids learn more life skills! Just wanted to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gluten Free baking and whole wheat baking have allot in common. I love chocolate and PB. MUST try this one in a GF version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wondering if you could use some unsweet applesauce in place of some of the brown sugar to cut some of the sugar down. I might just have to try this one. Printing out the recipe now. :)
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the chocolate bars i made from here the other day!! ,but i cant find it on here anymore!!, when i click on chocolate peanut butter bars, then whole wheat peanut butter bars comes up!!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it this one?

      http://homejoys.blogspot.com/2013/07/easy-chocolate-granola-bars.html

      Gina

      Delete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails