Monday, July 19, 2010

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars

This week, I want to share some whole wheat brownie recipes. In an attempt to eat healthier foods, I've been working at adapting some favorite recipes. I wish we didn't love our sweets so much - but we do. I try to keep some sort of brownie or cookie around for lunches and picnics. My goal has been to find recipes using whole wheat flour, no hydrogenated oils, and healthier ingredients like natural peanut butter and oatmeal.

Notice I said "healthier" not "healthy". They still have sugar, but compared to many brownies, at least they are an improvement. I imagine for some of you, eating any kind of brownie would be terrible, and for others, using whole wheat flour would be an unheard idea. Hopefully, someone will find these recipes helpful.

All these recipes have won the taste test in my family and don't last long at our house.

In the hot summer, and just about any other time, I try to maximize my oven usage by baking more then one pan of brownies at the same time. This recipe makes two 9x13 pans. Perfect for baking some extra for the freezer.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars

Adapted from Kitchen Keepsakes.

1 1/2 cup butter
2 1/2 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cloves
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cup quick oats
3 cup whole wheat flour
2 cup chocolate chips

Cream together butter and sugar. Blend in eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Spread in two greased 9x13 pans. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Do not over bake.

Do you have a favorite "healthier" brownie recipe? I'd love to try it!

3 comments :

  1. My children (ages 2 & 3) and I tried this recipe tonight and it is yummy! Thank you for another wonderful recipe. I sure do enjoy following your blog. We live in Alaska on a floathouse. My husband is a commercial fisherman for Salmon and has been gone since mid June. We miss him so much and with him gone I enjoy browsing blogs after the kids go to bed. I am so thankful I stumbled across yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry -
    Thanks for commenting and introducing yourself! My husband and I visited your wonderful state on our honeymoon. I'm been having fun reminiscing since this week is our anniversary! We want to come back and visit Alaska sometime!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. my kids and I made this on Thanksgiving...for a activity. All I can say is WOW these are GOOD! Will definitely be putting this recipe in the "keeper" file! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails