Friday, July 16, 2010

Sausage Sandwich Squares


My mom has made this spin on pizza for years. It is definitely in my husband's "top 10" list. The other day when I was made sausage squares, I mentioned that I never posted the recipe. Ed wondered why not!


Basically you make a pizza crust, layer on the meat and cheese, omitting the sauce, and top with more dough. The result is a yummy easy to handle "sandwich" that we love hot or cold.

Use a batch of your favorite pizza crust dough or use this one

3 1/2 cup flour (white, whole wheat, or mix)
1 T yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup warm water

Mix 2 cup flour, yeast, and salt. Add warm water and mix well. Stir in enough flour to make a firm dough. Knead for one minute. Allow to rise until double.

1 lb sausage
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
3 cup shredded mozarella cheese

Brown sausage with onion and peppers.

Press half of dough onto bottom and sides of greased jelly roll pan (15x10). Spread sausage over dough. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll out remaining dough and place over cheese and seal edges. If you wish, brush a beaten egg over crust and sprinkle with oregano and Parmesan cheese. Cut slits in top crust. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Cut into squares.

3 comments :

  1. Oh ... what a great idea! I will have to give this one a try very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I think my kids will love this. Is there a particular reason why you leave the tomato sauce out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia - You could let the sauce in- then it would be more like a stromboli. This way it is less messy. But give it a try both ways and see what you like!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails