Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Book Review - Choosing Gratitude

Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy
I think I'm a grateful person, I even enjoy writing thank you notes. But when my mom highly recommends a book, I know it will be worth the time. After reading Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, I found how much growth I need in the gratitude department.

I always wondered why unthankfulness was included in the list of serious sins in Romans 1. Nancy states that "ingratitude is our first step away from God." A quote from Kennedy " An ungrateful person is only one step away from getting his or her needs met in illegitimate ways."

Nancy doesn't gloss over the hard circumstances in life. Many times giving thanks is a genuine "sacrifice of praise." But when the alternative to thankfulness is pride, self-centeredness, and bitterness - gratitude is the only available choice for a Christian.

I highly recommend this book, wherever you fall in the gratitude scale. I benefited by doing the 30-day challenge in the end of the book. So often I read a book, agree with it heartily, desire to change but forget what I've read two days later. Spending a few extra weeks absorbing this book  was valuable.

A few more quotes from Choosing Gratitude.

"Choosing gratitude rescues me from myself and my runaway emotions."

" Choosing gratitude is a choice that requires constantly renewing my mind with the truth of God's Word, setting my heart to savor God and His gifts, and disciplining my tongue to speak words that reflect His goodness and grace - until a grateful spirit becomes my reflexive response to all of life."

"Anything that makes me need God is (regardless of how I may feel) a blessings."

"Ingratitude, is not only a bad habit, but a grievous sin against a good God and a poor reflection on His gospel and grace."

Have you read any good books recently?

5 comments :

  1. I love listening to Nancy Leah Demoss. She has a very tender way to present the truth and to make me think. Yes, rejoice ALWAYS and again I say rejoice. Give thanks in everything for this is the will of God. So many "commands" not suggestions on living a life of gratitude. Thanks for giving me something to chew on today. As I drip with sweat just watering the garden, I'll be grateful that I'm not shoveling 2 ft of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your fantastic post here. I am re posting it on Facebook Fan Page. It seems like we are both fans of the attitude: “Gratitude is good for you.” Grateful Nation is an online community that gives grateful people the opportunity and resources to connect, give back, and be thankful. Jump into the unending cycle of gratitude here at Grateful Nation Thank you, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title of the book alone is a sermon. It's all about choice isn't it? Choosing to be a woman of God is easy, following through with the choice is HAARD work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! ~ I have this book on my shelf waiting for me...
    fyi, I found it at Library and Educational Services for a great price! (currently on sale for $8.99)

    http://www.libraryanded.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an excellent book, Gina. I am always challenged and rebuked by Nancy Leigh DeMoss' writing -- and encouraged, too. I will have to look for this one!

    I liked the quote about an ungrateful person being only a step away from getting his or her needs met in illegitimate ways. So true and very sobering.

    Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails