Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Artisan Breads Every Day - Hoagie Rolls

And still more recipe reviews from Peter Reinhart's cookbook.

This recipe makes a great chewy sandwich roll. My greatest difficulty was the shaping. My hoagie rolls looked like a distorted hotdog rolls. But my mom used this recipe and made some great looking rolls. So it is probably me and not the recipe!

Since I was having such shaping difficulties, I gave up and finished the batch with simple round rolls. These turned out beautifully. My husband loved them for hamburger rolls and I think this may be the recipe we turn to this summer for our summer picnics.

The recipe was simple to follow. As usual, I made some substitutions to add whole grains. I replaced three cups of the white flour with whole wheat and added 3 T vital gluten. I also increased the water by 1/4 cup. I should have increased the liquid slightly more and that may have helped my roll forming issues.

Try these rolls for your next sandwich and you'll find yourself staying light on the sandwich fillings so you can appreciate the bread!

3 comments :

  1. These look very good, like the idea of using them for hamburger buns. Ordered my book last Thursday, so it should be here soon. Excited to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering when you add the seeds. Do you do that just before the bread is done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missionary momma-
    Immediately before baking rolls or bread is when I add any toppings. I brush the dough with water or egg and sprinkle on any seeds.

    Does that make sense?
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails