Tuesday, January 26, 2021

31-Day Phone Challenge - Day 26

 


But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33


Maybe you don’t want to do a regular phone fast, but you want to put priority on God’s Word.


A few years ago I committed to not check email or get online until I read my Bible that day. I announced this goal here on my blog which provided accountability. It was a simple goal, but because it was specific, I found it effective. The goal had clear boundaries. Either I read my Bible before I opened up my laptop, or I broke my commitment.


Now that I have a smartphone, I find this goal harder to keep. Somehow the phone can be in my hand and opened before I think twice. But since I moved my phone out of my bedroom, it has become easier to pick up my Bible first.


Good intentions can quickly get derailed. We must have a firm plan, preferably not just in your head but written, to increase our success. Sharing it with someone else makes success even more likely. Somehow the act of committing to another person makes it rise in importance in our mind.


Today’s Challenge: Do you have a good routine of Bible reading and prayer? Building a new habit works best if it is clearly defined.

What do I want to do? Where am I going to do it? When will I do it?


For example, fill in these blanks. “After I____________, I will read my Bible ____________.”

For example, “After I make myself a cup of coffee in the morning, I will read my Bible on the red chair.” Or “After my children leave for school, I will read my Bible at the kitchen table.” Or “After I tuck the children into bed, I will read my Bible at the desk.”


Then place your Bible at that spot in anticipation for tomorrow. If you miss a day, don’t beat yourself up. It can take time to build a new habit. Just try not to miss twice and do it the next day.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails