Saturday, May 29, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake - From Muffin Mix!

We love strawberries and were excited to get some delicious strawberries at a produce stand while in North Carolina last week. In the typical year, we don't have strawberries until June. Imagine our surprise to come home to find our strawberries were ready for picking!

Our strawberries are doing wonderfully this year. The robins were enjoying the fruit as much as we were but we pulled out our bird netting which put a stop to the bird buffet. We picked 22 quart this week and it looks like they are only beginning!
I grew up with eating lots of strawberry shortcake. My mom made a biscuit type shortcake and with whole wheat flour, berries and milk - it made a simple delicious breakfast, lunch, supper or dessert!

One morning this week, I was wishing for shortcake when I thought of the master muffin mix. The ingredients are very similar to my mom's shortcake. It only took minutes to mix up a batch using the muffin mix, pour into a pan, and bake for about 20 minutes. While waiting for it to bake, Ed and I picked the berries. I've made two more pans since then. It couldn't get easier or more delicious!

2 comments :

  1. This looks really good. I'll have to put together some muffin mix.

    I do want to ask, how do you make strawberry preserves? I found a great buy one year and made freezer jam, but I am limited on freezer space, so would like to can. Also, want some to sell for the farmer's market so the freezer kind probably wouldn't do. Do you have a good recipe, as it looks like we will have a decent crop come June?

    Blessings,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim-
    I haven't made many jams and preserves as we don't seem to eat a lot of it. The only thing I've made is following the directions from the Sure Jell package. I've made both freezer and canned successfully.

    Let me know what you find that works well for you!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails