Friday, September 28, 2012

Pumpkin Granola Cookies

Another new (to me) pumpkin recipe and another great find from the cookbook Around Grandma's Table, that I spoke of several weeks ago.These cookies may be on the "good-for-you" category but my children loved them. They would be the perfect lunch box treat.

Pumpkin Granola Cookies
from Around Grandma's Table (with my comments!)

2 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup quick oats
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed pumpkin
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Cream butter and sugars in large bowl; add egg and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add  flour, oats, coconut, wheat germ, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin. Beat well. Stir in raisins and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Flatten with spatula and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Do not stack cookies together until completely cool.

This recipe is rather adaptable. If you don't have an ingredient, feel free to substitute. I have used ground flax seed instead of wheat germ, sunflower seeds instead of nuts, and mini chocolate chips instead of raisins. Think about what tastes good in granola and be creative. The pumpkin makes these moist and yummy.

5 comments :

  1. I am most definitely making these soon!! Perfect fall baking recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a definite must try! Can't be anything but good:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this in the AM.. I have some pumpkin flax seed granola so will use that for the grains and use coconut oil for the butter. not sure on the raisins and nuts but will wait for the outcome. sounds like the best recipe on the web so far....thanks and God Bless you for reaching out from your community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious. I noticed you have the nuts as an "optional" item.When my children were small they thought they didn't like nuts in my chocolate chip cookies, so I ground up the nuts before adding and they loved them. It had been the texture rather than the flavor that they didn't like

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made them and they were delish. I did sub for some ingredients....used pumpkin flax seed granola for the oats and wheat germ, did add a 1/2 cup organic coconut shreds. Only used 1 cup of raw sugar and did not use the nuts or the raisins and subbed coconut oil for the butter. they were delish and I used a potato masher dipped in flour to mash them... thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails