Monday, November 30, 2015

Mailing Week - A Christmas Countdown



Today is a drizzly dreary day, perfect for holing up in the house and working on some Christmas projects. I've been at the sewing machine most of the afternoon and think I can finish up two sewing projects today. Such fun to strike projects off the list.

This is why I like to start Christmas preparations early. I enjoy these projects so much more when I have no time pressure.

This is mailing week. But I'm skipping sending Christmas mail this year. I'd rather wait and send out a baby birth announcement in January.

I know that with social media, sending a yearly Christmas update is fast becoming obsolete. I'm one of those strange folks that actually enjoy writing a family Christmas newsletter. It is fun to look back over the year and compile a review. Especially when Ed gives me a crazy idea like last year's Christmas card/letter. I'm still hearing from some who say that their children ask them to reread that Christmas card often - a compliment I never received before and proof that it wasn't your typical card. But the downside is that now I feel pressure to beat last year's creativity.

And I don't like pressure. So a note to all my real-life, snail-mail friends - expect my next Christmas letter to be the most boring you've read. Ever.

But even though I'm not doing Christmas letters this year, I hope some of my friends are. I love getting the mail in December. It is such a treat to find something beyond bills and advertisements in the mailbox. Whether it is a friend I only hear from once a year or see every week at church, I love the smiling family photos and letters (and no, none of them are the least bit boring.)

And this ends the Christmas Countdown. For the month of December you are on your own to complete your projects and enjoy special time with your family and friends.

Prepare - Mailing Week - Inspiration for the final week of the Christmas Countdown

So what about you?  What project is on the top of your list this week? And how are you relieving some of the pressure on yourself this month?

4 comments :

  1. Now I'm awfully curious about last year's Christmas card/letter!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. I should have thought of that. It might sound rather silly. We took ideas from the children's classic picture book "Guess Who Lives Here" by Eloise Wilkins and made a little photo booklet about each person in our family. It was fun, and probably the fastest "letter" I ever wrote.

      But all the credit goes to my husband and his job as a printer which can make crazy ideas come alive.
      Gina

      Delete
  2. Hello Gina,

    Yes, this week is Christmas mail-out week for me. Most years I send an annual family newsletter out around Thanksgiving, but years like this one ... it gets pushed to Christmas time.

    Thanks for informing Bethany about the creative idea you had for your Christmas newsletter last year. Sounds like a VERY fun project.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our family is visiting Hong Kong for Christmas... it should be a great sight for the kids. It's supposed to be rather warm there though, so keeping the girls modest might be a problem...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails