Friday, October 22, 2010

Steak Soup


I still have more soup recipes I want to share and October is quickly passing! 

And it isn't that I'm just writing about soups this month. We are eating them too! 

I thought with canning and the wedding over, life would slow down. But now I've thrown myself into housecleaning. Cleaning was neglected for the last few months and needed to be put on top priority. I can't think of anything more simple or satisfying while waging war with the dust bunnies than a hearty pot of soup simmering on the back of the stove.

Steak Soup
Adapted from Taste of Home

1 1/2 pound of round or sirloin steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 T flour
1 T paprika
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 T parsley
1/2 tsp oregano
4 cup beef broth
2 cup tomato juice
1 1/2 cup cubed potatoes
1 1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 1/2 cup chopped celery

Brown beef and onion. Sprinkle flour and seasonings over beef and mix well. Add broth and juice and bring to boil. Simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Add vegetables and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.

10 comments :

  1. I am doing the same thing over here. It seems the housekeeping moved to the bottom of the to do list and then I must have erased it. So much catching up to do! That soup looks yummy, I'll have to try it when I get some beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I found that I don't deep clean much in hot weather. When fall comes, I am ready to tackle it again.

    What do you serve with soup? I made broccoli soup for dinner tonight and remembered, oh yes, the big question for winter is what kind of bread to have with soup. If I haven't thought ahead, it has to be something quick. Often we just have soup and bread for supper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margo -
    We usually have some sort of bread with soup. Sometimes it is a quick cornbread, muffins or biscuit. Other times it is "real" bread. And sometimes, just crackers. And I've been known to serve a pot of soup alone! Meals really are simple around here usually!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever canned soup? I have been wanting to try it and I didn't know if you could just take any soup recipe and can it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frugal Pals-

    I do can soup. I have used recipes specific for canning, but I'm sure you could adapt your favorite recipe. Check the recipe category at the top of the blog to find two of my favorite canned soups. I LOVE the convenience of home canned soups.

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing I like better than a good bowl of soup when it gets cold. This looks wonderfully hearty. Can't wait to see what other soups you post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this looks so wonderful! Thanks for posting...I can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried another winner this weekend:
    Loaded Potato Corn Chowder:
    http://www.forthemommas.com/cooking/recipes/loaded-potato-corn-chowder-recipe

    I substituted the heavy cream for light cream, and used cubed American cheese. I would definitely make it again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried this tonight and it is so awesome! This is definitely going in my recipe basket! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although it is still warm out, it has been unseasonably cool here in Missouri. So I decided to try out your recipe tonight. I used crushed tomatoes instead of tomato juice since that is what I had on hand and changed up the spices a bit (I don't like paprika). Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails