Thursday, October 7, 2010

Italian Meatball Soup

Thanks to all you who encouraged me in my clothes sorting. It is good to at least know that I'm not alone. 

Today my sister was here helping me make applesauce. Not only did we make applesauce but while we waited for apples to cook, I finished the clothes sorting process. Yippee!!!  Now, hopefully no one will have a growth spurt before spring.




Continuing to share favorite soup recipes in October... this next one is adapted from The Pioneer Woman. Not that I could pretend to improve any of her recipes. My changes had more to do with convenience using the ingredients I have on hand, such as tomato juice instead of paste. And I hate to make herb bags.

My children are not impressed with the kale. I love it. You choose. You could easily let it out. I sometimes use cabbage instead of kale, if that is what I have on hand. Kale is prettier but both taste good.

I didn't specify a recipe for meatballs. I assume you have a favorite meatball recipe. I usually make up a whole bunch of meatballs and bake them on the broiler pan until they are just barely done. Then I freeze them for a quick meal like soup, meatball subs, or spaghetti. 




Italian Meatball Soup
A hearty stick-to-the-ribs soup

1 lb ground beef (made into your favorite small meatballs)
3/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 garlic clove
7 cups beef broth
1 cup tomato juice
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 cup potato, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 T parsley
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 pound kale, chopped (may also use cabbage)

If your meatballs are uncooked, first brown meatballs in a large pot. Remove meatballs. To pot, add onions, celery, and garlic and saute in a little olive oil. Add broth, juice, carrots, potatoes, and seasonings. Bring to boil and simmer 30 minutes.  Add kale and meatballs and simmer until all tender. Serve with Parmesan cheese.



3 comments :

  1. Mmmmm you makin' my mouth water girl!

    another one to add to the recipe file and try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so nice! It is soup season again and this is really perfect! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you a fan of white meatballs? Thats our most used meatball recipe. But like you I cook in batches and freeze for other meals.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails