Friday, October 15, 2010

Cheeseburger Soup

There are good soups. And then there is GOOD soup. And this is the latter. 

This recipe comes from my friend Jeanne who has given us many favorite recipes through the years. She says the secret is some good home smoked sausage. I agree that a good sausage puts this soup over the top, but you can use ground beef, too.

This soup isn't exactly low fat. I have found that it is good - even if you omit cheese and sour cream. Of course, then it can't really be called "cheeseburger" soup!





Cheeseburger Soup


1 lb sausage or ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup shredded carrot
3/4 cup diced celery

In large pot, brown meat and saute vegetables until softened.

1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
4 cup shredded RAW potato
3-4 cup chicken broth

Add to pot and cook 10 minutes. 

4 T melted butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Mix together. Add to soup. 

1 cup Velveeta 

Add. Mix all together until melted.

1/4 cup sour cream

Stir in immediately before serving.


11 comments :

  1. Yum! We just made this, this week! I love it, but I was raised on it (grew up in German Baptist church).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this soup too but wish I could find a substitute for the Velveeta :( My kids are crazy for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah -
    I don't use buy Velveeta so I usually just serve it with shredded cheese sprinkled on top. Or often I just omit the cheese altogether and it is still delicious!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a delicious, easy supper for my busy Friday. I did put the cheese and sour cream in but my taste test before told me it would be super good without it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this today! Super yummy! As the snow is falling during our winter storm right now, this soup hit the spot. I didnt have any Velveeta so I just skipped the cheese and sour cream and it was super! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm 4 years late... but I just tried this recipe (I tweaked it a little; had to use shredded cheese instead of Velveeta), but this is the BEST cheeseburger soup recipe I've tried. The sour cream and sausage really take this soup over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I can this recipe? If so, do I need to make any changes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gina....It Susan here. I'm gonna make this soup tonight as we have a go-away evening planned....and to top it off we just butchered last weekend so the fresh sausage will be awesome! Thanks for the recipe...have a great weekend!
    Susan Kreider

    ReplyDelete
  9. This soup is so tasty! We used cheddar instead of Velveeta and I used my homemade sausage. We ate it for lunch and then finished it for dinner!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails