Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Curried Vegetable Bisque

In the last two weeks, I've been on a soup  binge. Last night I asked Ed which soup was his favorite. This was his winner.

My daughter watched me chop all the apples, onions, and peppers and said she wouldn't eat it. She said that apples and raisins didn't belong in soup. But once it was all bended together, she actually pronounced it  good!

Curried Vegetable Bisque
Adapted from Simply in Season

2 cups onion, chopped
2 cups red sweet pepper, chopped
3/4 cup celery, chopped
In large pot saute in a little oil for 5 minutes.

5 cup tart apple, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
3 cup potatoes, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup tomato juice
1-3 T curry powder (according to your taste)
1/2 tsp thyme
Stir in and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until all vegetables are soft. Puree in batches in blender or food processor. Return everything to soup pot.

3 cups milk.
2 cup cooked chicken, chopped (optional)
Stir in. Heat until hot but not boiling.

I added a little grated cheese  when serving - just so that my children would try it!

4 comments :

  1. I love soup too. It's one of my favorite things about the cool weather coming. I am going to try this soup since I have most of the ingredients on hand. I like how different it is.
    Love your blog. I appreciate so much wonderful women who know who they are as daughters of God and understand His role for us. Thank you for your example.
    Oh, and I'll be posting one of our favorite fall soup recipes on my blog. Hope you'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with your daughter on the raisins. That's just yuck.(But I don't like raisins to begin with!) I thought of you tonight, as I made my cream of broccoli soup. And now, I'll probably always think of you when I make soup, knowing you're a fellow soup lover. One month, when us Dagarin kids were little, my mom made pea soup every night for a whole month. I loved it then, and I still love pea soup!

    Oh, and please don't stop blogging. I'll try very, very hard not to become envious. =) You can keep me accountable when we see each other once a month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I love curry so I will probably try this one. I am looking for a savory squash soup.

    When my daughter was a senior the class took me as their advisor on a cruise ship for their Sr. trip. We had sooo much food, but my favorite beside the escargo... :)
    was a pumpkin soup they served. It was absolutely delicious. I so wanted the recipe, but the cook wouldn't give it up :(

    I've been looking for the same type of soup that could be made with squash. We have LOTS of winter squash and I have to find ways to use it.

    Happy Fall... our leaves are all falling :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting all of your soup recipes. I am really enjoying them. Being a soup hater, it's nice to find some that taste good! My goal is to always make soups on sundays, and maybe 2 other times a week. That's a big step for me!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails