Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Homemade Applesauce

I was planning to write a post about making applesauce since someone had asked how we make it.


But then I discovered I already wrote about making applesauce last year.

So I'll save myself the bother and let you check out last year's post.


The only thing I did differently this year is place the food mill outside on the deck attached to the picnic table. I don't know why I never did this before. My kitchen isn't large and felt crowded when the food mill was hooked up.

Keeping all the sticky mess outside was great for cleanup! After I was done canning, I carried the hot water in the canner out to the deck and slopped the water all over the picnic table and deck. A quick scrub with a brush had everything clean again!


I did wonder if any of you make applesauce without a food mill. I have a Squeezo mill that my mom found at a yard sale. I don't think they make that brand anymore but it is similar to the Roma food mill.


(Edit to add: I'm not sure where I was looking but Bekki shared that the Squeezo strainer  is still available. They aren't cheap but I like that they are all metal. We sure have given ours a lot of use.) 

(Another Edit: My friend Deana sent the following suggestions: "There are 2 models similar to yours available from GOOD's store which I think are reasonably priced. These models do include plastic parts but they seem to hold up well. My mom has used hers for over 20 years. I can recommend the Sauce Master Norpro which costs around $35.00 and the Victorio Strainer (this brand has been around for years) costs around $45.00. We tried a Universal brand (also from GOOD's) and it  had some major design flaws. Good's also carries some replacement parts and accessories screens for processing salsa,berries, juice and pumpkin." So if any of you are close to GOOD's, you can check out their selection, and I also added the links to Amazon.)

I also have a smaller food mill, also from a yard sale, that is great for small amounts. If you don't have a food mill (or one that you can borrow)  you could peel and core the apples and cook down to a chunky sauce that could be mashed with a spoon or potato masher. Any other ideas?



For larger items like food mills, dehydrators, and pressure canners, that are only used several times a year, I was brainstorming how several like-minded families could get together and share. Each family could purchase one item and share with the others. It would not only save money but storage space as well.

What do you think? Would it work?

13 comments :

  1. Love the idea of doing it outside. I made some on Saturday and was pleased with how clean I kept everything. But as the day wore on, the floor just kept getting blacker and blacker as everything started to stick to it. It was nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea about doing it outside! I love the concentrated look of your little girl in the photo above! So cute! She looks like a great helper already!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Squeezo is still sold for about 160.00. The Victorio strainer is cheaper at 60.00 I love the idea of making it outside. If only I had a deck. I do lay towels on the floor and then just roll them up and my floors are not to bad. I suppose one could even tape them down if the wrinkles bother you. The first time I made applesauce as a married woman and not with my mom we used a foley food mill. It took forever and my husband had to do most of the work. We bought our strainer the next year, the cost is SO worth it! Expecially if you are doing a large amount. It's now 10 years old and still works great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Foley food mill that my mother gave me. But my friend does make chunky applesauce.

    Our church has a sharing list. Members list items that they are willing to loan (camping, canning, instruments, tools, crafting stuff, etc. etc.) and then we borrow from each other. Our household split the cost of a tile saw with another family and now we also loan the tile saw out to others. So yes, I do think sharing little-used or expensive tools is the way to go! That's what a community is for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesomeness. I just can't believe how much you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We make ours outside close to the water hydrant. Makes it nice to spray all the goop off before bringing it in to the sink to be washed. Any little thing to save getting the sticky stuff on the floor sure helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used a Squeezo food mill this year, but last year I blended it in a blender, one little bit at a time (this takes forever!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can applesauce and apple butter and do not have a food mill. I have one of the hand crank peeler/corer/slicers for apples. My husband usually takes care of that for me. I boil the apples until soft then I either use my blender or a hand stick blender to get the applesauce consistency. It's pretty simple. It's also nice because I can choose the consistency. My children prefer chunky applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Victorio strainer that I have used for many years for making applesauce and love it. It sure cuts down on the work involved. I put newpapers down on the floor under my table and can usually just clean up any drips with a damp cloth. I'm glad your sister was able to come help you and that your back is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cook my apples on the stove, (add a little water). Cook them down and run it through the blender to whatever consistency I like and then I freeze it.
    When you can it, how long do you water bath it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it necessary to remove the stem and blossom ends of your apples before processing through a Squeezo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always remove the blossom ends but sometimes there is a little black grit that comes through the applesauce. My family doesn't mind it! I think removing the stem helps it go through the Squeezo better.
      Gina

      Delete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails