Saturday, October 9, 2010

Broccoli Cheese Soup


Another favorite recipe from my mom. My fall broccoli is big enough to pick, so this soup was on the "must" list this week. Even my children love it.

2 cup chicken broth OR water with bouillon
2 lb broccoli (or about 2 qt chopped broccoli)
2 T butter
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 cup flour
2 cup milk
1 cup cheese

In pan, bring broth and broccoli to boil. Simmer until tender. Do not drain. 

Meanwhile, melt butter in another pan. Saute onion til tender. Stir in flour. Add milk and stir until thickened. Add to broccoli. Stir in cheese until melted (OR serve with shredded cheese on top.) Serve immediately.


7 comments :

  1. This couldn't have come on a better day. I was just at the farmer's market and bought some broccoli that I couldn't pass up. Now I have a recipe to use it on. I'm enjoying all of your soup recipes - I love that you have a "theme" going!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make this today, despite the fact that its still hot outside. It's time for fall! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this yesterday and am having it tonight. Thank you! I ended up adding some turmeric for a little color and doubled the cheese (we love cheese). I also added some curry powder. Do you make a cream of _______ soup too? The cream of chicken or cream of celery in the store is loaded with sodium. I haven't tried a homemade version. (I would use it in a casserole instead of just the soup.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love broccoli cheese soup and this recipe is so real- I wonder if my kids would eat broccoli if I made this? (dreaming...)

    -Jami
    An Oregon Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had this for lunch today! So good. It was such an easy and delicious meal. The children loved it and thought it was a special lunch! It will definitely become a stand by here. Thanks so much!
    Dorcas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Yum! I've been eating a broccoli cheese soup with Velveeta my whole life. I found your blog about a year ago when I was looking for muffin recipes using whole wheat. We are cutting out processed food (including Velveeta!) and my 6 year old (and I!) loved this soup!
    I used a 12 oz bag of frozen broccoli (chopped), added a couple of cloves of garlic to the onion (per my 3 year old's request) and a few grinds of fresh pepper! So Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This soup.....all I can say is WOW! It seriously is my favorite! So totally perfect when it is rainy or cold or snowy out!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails