Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Homemade Bread - Step by Step

Two years ago, I did a series on bread making. I never finished the series. Since then, I've learned a lot more about bread baking and wanted to go back and edit some of the posts to reflect some of the things I've learned and the questions I have received. 
While editing the posts, I decided to rerun the series. Hopefully it will not bore those of you who have been reading here for several years. 

My goal is to be simple enough for someone who has never baked bread before. My plan is to share on one aspect of bread baking a week (maybe yeast or shaping loaves) and share one bread recipe. I plan to start with the simplest recipes using white flour, progress to whole wheat bread, which some find more challenging, and end with sourdough breads. 

Bread baking is a huge topic and there has been hundreds of books written on the subject. I'll only scratch the surface. But as this blog continues to be a place for me to record what I've learned, and bread baking continues to be something that fascinates me, and I appreciate you letting me gab about it!

If you've never made homemade bread before, and you want to learn, I hope you will take the plunge and try the recipe each week. Share your questions. If I don't know the answer, there is sure to be a reader who knows.

Probably the best way to learn to make bread is to "just do it". Pick a recipe and make it over and over until you are completely familiar with the process. Even if it feels awkward at first, it does get easier with practice. Most of us didn't do so great on our first attempt at riding a bicycle either. 

And, again, my disclaimer! :-) I'm not saying that everyone should or will want to bake their own bread. I make bread at least once a week. I thoroughly enjoy everything about creating, smelling, and, of course, eating homemade bread! 

But bread baking works well with my stage of life right now when I'm home most of the time with my little ones. Your life may be entirely different then mine - and bread baking may not be in your goals. Far more important then the bread we eat, is the relationship we have with the Bread of Life and the people God placed in our lives. I'd hate to come to the end of my life and hear my children say that they wish their mom would have baked less bread and had more time for them.

But if bread baking IS something you wish to do...let's get started!

4 comments :

  1. Yay! This is something I have been learning the past year and am still learning a lot. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to this "series". I just bought a sourdough starter off of etsy & I am excited aobut getting started. I like crusty bread & I am just not going to pay what they want for it @ the store & eat all those preservatives too. So , since life has slowed down a little for me ( THAT is SO not true!!) I fugured Id start making it.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward this! Making my own bread is one of my goals for this new year and I love that you are taking us step by step:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to the series. Always nice to learn something new. And you are so right: The best way to learn is just plunge right in and try it. ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails