Thursday, November 17, 2011

Books Celebrating Long Life

I've wanted to do a post on my favorite books about the elderly, but I wasn't sure what to call it. Finally just called it celebrating long life. There is so much love and wisdom that we can receive from the elderly. I love picture books that show the love between a child and those full of years.


When I Am Old with You by Angela Johnson
All the wonderful things that a child can do with a grandparent.


Wilfrid Gordon McDonal Partridge by Mem Fox
A small boy attempts to bring back his friend's memory.



Saturdays and Teacakes by Lester Laminack
When Saturdays meant a bycyle trip to Grandma's.


The Sunsets of Miss Olivia Wiggins by Lester Laminak
A lovely but bittersweet book which brings back memories of my Grandma's last years with Alzhiemers.

A Day's Work by Eve Bunting
A young boy discovers he can learn a lot from his newly immigrated grandfather. This book is a favorite that we enjoyed from the library until finding our own copy - at a used book sale! 



Babu's Song by Stephanie Stuva-Bodean
Another lovely book depicting the love and wisdom of a grandfather.

Looking for more book suggestions? Check out the bookshelf page.

I'd love to hear about your favorite books celebrating the special bond between children and their grandparents. I'm sure there are many more than the ones I thought of today.

4 comments :

  1. this is such a neat idea!

    I recall a book we got from the library that I thought was just lovely - it was focused more on imagination, but the grandparents were central to the book: The Hello, Goodbye Window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy volunteering in the hospice department of our city hospital; all of these books look like excellent resources for family with grandparents and great-grandparents that are growing older. The most important thing is keeping these changes where the children are comfortable with discussing them, and familiar with them, especially things that can be surprising like dementia - then it's not so scary ... thanks for sharing this list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, I like "Nana Upstairs, and Nana Downstairs" by Tomie dePaola.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails