Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sandwich Buns

Our favorite roll recipe for sandwiches! I've also made this recipe for small dinner rolls as well! I usually double the recipe in my Bosch mixer. I also use at least half whole wheat flour and add a little vital gluten.

1 cup very warm water
1 cup warm milk
1 egg
2 T butter
1/4 cup sugar
3 cup flour (plus more later)
1/2 T salt
2 T yeast

Mix all ingredients until well combined. Begin adding MORE flour, 1 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms. Don't add any more flour then necessary or the dough will be heavy. Knead for 5 minutes with bread hook or by hand. Turn onto greased counter and divide dough into four parts. Cover and allow dough to rest for 20 minutes. Roll dough to ¾ inch thick and cut with large biscuit cutter. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg or milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Allow to rise until double, usually about an hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

2 comments :

  1. I just got done making these sandwich buns and they turned out so nice! I was so surprised at how easy they were to make and they didn't require much time at all.

    I really appreciate your website!

    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these although I shaped them into 12 rolls, rather than cutting them out with a biscuit cutter. The rolls were nice like a kaiser roll, and about the size of the palm of my hand. I wonder how many you usually get when you use a biscuit cutter? Anyway they were AMAZING, and will be my go to roll recipe from now on!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails