Saturday, November 17, 2012

Simple Scones with Variations

I've been on a scone binge recently. They are so easy to whip up and their presence is welcome at breakfast, afternoon snack, or served with soup.

Scones are basically a biscuit, though often sweetened with sugar and a little richer. Like muffins, there are many ways to adapt a scone. Often they are served as dessert with tea and cream, but they can also be made savory and served with eggs or soup.

Like biscuits and muffins, the key is to work quickly. Don't mix scones too much or they will be tough. I like to keep the dough very wet and sticky. I dump it out on a floured counter, sprinkle on more flour, fold the dough over itself with the help of a dough scraper, pat into a rough circle, and cut into wedges.

Also keep your ingredients cold. Sometimes after cutting in the butter, I freeze the flour mixture for five minutes.

Before long the aroma from the oven will be calling the rest of the household to the kitchen.


Simple Scones

2 cups flour (I use half whole wheat)
1/3 cup sugar (I use 1/4 cup honey)
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
3/4 cup milk or cream

Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, or salt. (If using honey, mix it in with the milk.) Cut butter into flour until crumbly. I like to use a food processor. Only pulse as you want the butter to be in small pea size lumps. Add milk and stir with spoon just until moistened. Turn dough onto floured counter. Pat into circle. Cut into eight wedges. Place on baking sheet. Brush tops with milk if desired. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Variations:

Here is where it gets fun. Add anything you wish to the dough before baking. Here are some ideas to get you started.
1/4 mini chocolate chips and 1/4 cup dried cherries
1 cup chopped strawberries or 1 cup blueberries
1 cup chopped apple and 1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1/4 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar, 1/4 cup chopped cooked bacon, 2 T fresh chives (omit sugar or honey)
3/4 cup shredded Swiss, 3/4 cup chopped baked ham (omit sugar or honey)

You may sprinkle the scones with cinnamon sugar or sparkling sugar before baking.

After baking, you may drizzle on a vanilla glaze.

However you make your scones, they will be good!

7 comments :

  1. Yum. I am fancying the cinnamon and apple scones. Thanks for the tip about freezing the butter/flour mixture. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore scones! I've posted about them a couple of times. Our favorites, so far, are raisin cinnamon scones eaten with lemon curd, and rosemary raisin scones. I should branch out, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina, I just love scones! Your simple scone recipe is a good one. I will eat a scone anytime:)
    You are a very good inspiration for me,it gets me pulling out some of my dear older favorites...
    Blessings, Roxy
    Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made scones before but these look delicious. Thanks for sharing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, I LOVE Scones! I can eat scones with just about anything and they are really good with hot tea or coffee. Thanks for the different variations to put in them, sometimes you need that creative idea to toss them in the dough!
    I hope you and your family have a Great Thanksgiving!
    Many Blessings,
    Amy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    Here in England, I make scones all the time, both sweet and savoury. They are one of our "standard" things to make. My family love them. If I am not making anything else, I won't heat up the oven but cook them in a frying pan with a lid (is this an American skillet?) as it uses less fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite scones are pumpkin with blueberries. Thank you for this recipe. I was just thinking about scones to make for a change.
    - - Philippa

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails