Thursday, November 29, 2012

Last Harvest

The garden looks barren these days. Since we mulched the asparagus several weeks ago, I have hardly even walked out to the garden.

But there was still one spot of green - the last of our carrot crop.


Our carrots did better than they have in several years. In fact, the past two years, I had not even been able to get any carrots to sprout. But this year they did very well. We have been eating off this row of carrots since summer, just pulling the amount we needed. 

Yesterday I decided it was time to finish the harvest. I know that some gardeners cover their carrots with straw and store them right in the garden. But I know that on a bitter, cold day, I'm not going to feel like hacking at half frozen ground for a carrot to add to my soup.



I dug the carrots out, broke off the tops, washed them, and stored them in the fridge. They should last a few more weeks. I could have pressure canned the carrots, but my family does not prefer canned carrots.

I enjoy gardening, but right now I'm thrilled to be done for the year. The garden seed catalogs are arriving already. Probably by the end of January I'll be eagerly placing seed orders and dreaming of the best garden yet.

But for now, I'll enjoy the winter sabbatical.

16 comments :

  1. Your carrots look wonderful! What kind do you plant? My carrots are shorter, but they taste ok. I'm looking for a new type to plant, as they are a family favorite :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie -
      Sadly, I don't remember what variety I planted. I think I had three different varieties (didn't want to put my eggs in one basket) One variety did much better than the others but I kept horrible records this year. I'll try to do better next year!
      Gina

      Delete
  2. Well done! Those carrots are beautiful & bountiful!! What variety did you grow? I tried some Parisienne carrots this fall, you know the nearly pointless to even grow because they're just a bite of carrot round nubs? They were ready quick- in just a couple months- and were SO SWEET! Before a freeze & all! It kind of stinks because now I'll want to waste space to grow them again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I answered your question above! I know you keep much better records than I! Always another year!
      Gina

      Delete
  3. A friend of mine recommends placing home grown carrots in a bucket of sand and storing them in a cool place. You may like to try that if you don't want to take up the frige space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of using sand - but never tried it. Maybe this should be the year! Thanks for the reminder.
      Gina

      Delete
    2. I've heard about the sand idea as well; next year, when I finally have a real garden, I'm going to try it as well as a storage 'clamp.'

      Here's one diagram of a clamp: http://www.greenchronicle.com/gardening/storage_clamp.htm

      -dep31

      Delete
  4. I have done the sand thing but have found that carrots stored in an ice cream pail with a paper towel on the bottom and one on top of the carrots and then into the fridge stay the best. We live in northern Alberta so our last harvest comes in September and last year we were still eating carrots into February all stored in ice cream pails and they were still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! Did you change the paper towel occasionally?
      Gina

      Delete
    2. Yes when the top paper towel is wet I change it for a fresh paper towel.

      Delete
  5. If they seem to go bad too quickly, you can dehydrate some. They work well in soups and things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shara
      I never thought of dehydrating. I think I may dehydrate some just to see how well it works.
      Gina

      Delete
  6. I am looking at ordering seeds this year from a catalog but have not done so before. Do you have any recommendations?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ordered from many different seed catalogs - but my favorite is Stokes, particularly for my area in the northeast. I recommend finding a seed company that is in your location. They will probably have seeds adapted and trialed in your climate.
      Gina

      Delete
  7. I miss the garden in the winter, but I'm with you... a winter sabbatical is nice. This leaves time for some Christmas crafting and cleaning projects that I just don't have time for in the summer.

    Carrots look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic harvest, Gina! I don't think I've ever had that amount of carrots after eating all season - well, done. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails