Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Potato Day!

Today is Potato Day! (Who comes up with these holidays anyway?) We just dug out our early potatoes, so I'll celebrate! We had a bumper crop of huge potatoes! We planted three rows but at three different times so this was only the first row. We've been eating potatoes off this one row since June and still picked a bushel and a half! The row was not even all that long! Some of the potatoes are so large that one potato would be a whole meal for our family! I'm sure the plentiful rain gets the credit!

I've shared this recipe for baked potato casserole before but I'm going to put it hear again since it is buried somewhere in the archives! We love this recipe and find it is a hit wherever we take it!

First dig a truck load of potatoes!

Baked Potato Casserole

5 pounds potatoes, cooked and cubed
1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream (I use my homemade yogurt.)
1 T minced chives
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine potatoes and bacon. In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add to potato mixture and toss gently. Bake in greased dish, uncovered, at 325 for 1 hour or until bubbly and light brown.

This also works well for the crockpot. Put it on low for 2-3 hours.

Mmm! So good!

Go to Tammy's Recipes In-Season Recipe Swap for more potato recipes!

2 comments :

  1. Gina thank you for another great recipe. I'm going to make this for dinner tonight. I linked it in my blog as well
    http://muminbloom.blogspot.com/2009/08/recipe-baked-potatoe-casserole.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails