Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Flo's Cakes - Cream-Filled Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake

Flo is back with another of her wonderful coffee cakes. She said that this recipe is in her top five favorites!





Cream-Filled Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake
Shared by Florence Fox 

½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream

Topping:
½ cup sugar
½ cup chopped pecans
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Filling:
1 TBSP cornstarch
¾ cup milk
¼ cup butter, softened
¼ cup shortening
½ cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. 

 
Pour into two greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Lightly cut through with a knife to swirl. Bake at 350˚ for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. 
 
In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minute or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. In a small mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and chilled milk mixture; beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 10 minutes.

Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake. Store in the refrigerator.

7 comments :

  1. Whooaaa. Now that I gotta try!

    Gina, I've enjoyed your idea of pulling in contributions from others this month. This must have taken some serious preliminary work & planning on your part; but now you get to rest. And what a fun potpourri it's been! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shari-
      I still can't believe that so many were willing to participate. (I thought of asking you to join in - but thought maybe you are busy enough with your own blog!) I'm sure I'm the one having the most fun this month!
      Gina

      Delete
  2. Have mercy... I am going to make this tomorrow....thank you for the wonderful recipes.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK So I made two of these. One for our family and one for a family in our church that had a family member suddenly die. So good. I did however think the cream turned out wrong so I made a yummy cream cheese frosting last minute. I am going to post your recipe on my blog if this is ok? I have no trackback links due to having my blog printed into a book. I will out my frosting up but, I am seeking permission to share your yummy recipe?
    New baby is adorable. Congratulations.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa -
      Flo said that you are welcome to share the recipe on your blog.

      And about the cream...Flo shared these tips. "I have learned by experience that the cornstarch and milk mixture must be cooled completely before mixing with other ingredients, or the filling will be ruined. When the milk and flour mixture is completely cooled, then the rest of the ingredients should be beaten together with a mixer for several minutes to get a good consistency."

      Gina

      Delete
  4. I posted it with Flo's name. Thank you so much. I did snap a picture of it. Looks almost exactly like yours did. So yummy!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice recipe. Thanks for sharing such nice and simple recipe. We always ordered a cake from monginis online shop. But this time I am going to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails