Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Flo's Cakes - Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake



My friend Flo is known for her coffee cakes. Last year she made each of the ladies at her church a coffee cake on their birthday. It made me want to move to Michigan and go to church with Flo! Since I can't, the next best thing was to beg Flo to share some of her coffee cake recipes with us! 

Enjoy this recipe and look for more of Flo's coffee cake recipes in the coming weeks.



Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Shared by Florence Fox

This coffee cake is one of my favorites—though I have many favorites. I found the recipe in a Taste of Home cookbook, and love to serve it to guests or bake to give away. 

2 ¼ cups flour
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup cold butter, cubed
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
¾ cup sour cream
1 tsp almond extract

Filling:
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese
¼ cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
½ cup slivered almonds

In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside ¾ cup crumb mixture. 

Add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt to remaining crumb mixture. Stir in the egg, sour cream, and almond extract until blended.

Press onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of an ungreased 9-in springform pan. Place on a baking sheet.

For filling, in a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, and sugar for 1 minute. Add egg; beat just until combined. Spread over crust. Carefully top with pie filling. Sprinkle with almonds and reserved crumb mixture.


Bake at 350˚ for 50-60 minutes or until center is set. Cool on a wire rack. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Store in the refrigerator. 

14 comments :

  1. Looks like a tasty treat! A very nice gift to share with friend too. : )

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. (gasp!) Christina - is this you? This is Bevy - from Treasured Up and Pondered. Remember me?
      I thought I had your correct email address... I've been trying to email you...or at least reconnect somehow. But no luck!

      I think of you often and hope all is well. I miss hearing from you!

      Delete
    2. Hey bevy! Yes its me I e mailed you once I think about sending cards lol. I'm suprised you remembered me. Maybe you have me confused with someone else. Lol
      Ill just stop by your blog !;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I look forward to the others. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy...it would go perfect with my cup of coffee sitting here. :)
    Thanks for sharing this.. and I love your friends idea of sharing this cake with all her friends on their birthday. Fun idea.

    How are you doing - Gina - and the new baby? All doing well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bevy -
      We are all doing very well! So far, it seems that we were given a VERY good baby! Of course we've had the normal adjustments but she is sleeping well - so I'm happy!

      Thanks,
      Gina

      Delete
  5. Oh this looks delicious!

    May I ask, what is a coffee cake? In Britain it means a cake flavoured with coffee (often a sponge cake with coffee-flavoured buttercream icing. It usually also has walnuts, either in the cake or arranged in a pretty pattern on the top - or, often, both). But obviously that is not the case in the USA and I've noticed lots of mouthwatering recipes called 'coffee cakes' on the internet which seem to be related by ... um ... ?

    Thank you! And thank you Gina and Florence for sharing this lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good question Philippa. Coffee cakes are a yummy baked dessert to eat with your coffee or tea. They are usually easy cakes to stir up, not something like a angel food cake that takes special beating. And typically they don't have frosting but often a crumb type topping.

    Anyone else know what is truly considered an American coffee cake?
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cake to eat with coffee ... makes sense!

      Thank you.

      Delete
  7. Pinned! Yum! And congrats on the littlest one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ran right out to get the ingredients and my daughter and I just baked this up - I think my pan must be small since a bit bubbled over! - but it looks and smells wonderful and we can't wait for it to cool. Thank you! And thanks also for the very encouraging posts! Suz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried it and put some strawberry toppings on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking yummy.. Thanks for sharing recipe.It is nice combination of cherry and cheese. I Like
    cheese cakes
    so much.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails