Thursday, June 21, 2012

Three Baked Beans

For as long as I can remember, my mom made three baked bean casserole for picnics.

Now it has become my husband's favorite side with burgers. I like that it is super simple. The recipe can be adapted several ways and I rarely even measure anything but I'll try to give you an idea of how I make it.


Three Baked Beans 


3 or 4 16 oz cans  different types of beans, drained

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup brown sugar OR 1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup ketchup
1 T. vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together. Bake in oven for one hour at 350. Or simmer on stove. Or heat in slow cooker for about four hours.

I usually use kidney beans, navy beans, great northern beans, and green beans. Typically I use my own home canned beans. If you use a can of pork and beans, do not drain.

Instead of the sugar, ketchup, vinegar, and seasoning - you can substitute your favorite BBQ sauce.

If you wish, you can add browned ground beef, sausage, bacon, or even hotdogs.

7 comments :

  1. MMM. I've been wanting baked beans recently. Thanks for posting this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like something my husband would like, too.
    Thanks for the recipe..
    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina~ I can't wait to try this! I ccok so much from scratch anymore and I have been looking for a great baked bean recipe. Thanks so much for posting yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! I love my husband's baked beans (shh! Don't tell anyone he's ever cooked in the kitchen! ;) ), but these sound good to try when he isn't grilling and making his famous side dish. I am trying your chile burgers next week. I may just have to make these to go with them! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of beans... I planted some gnuddel beans in with my sunflowers this year. I've never grown them before, but figured you might know about them and how to use them. I like to try at least one new thing. This year I tried "Asparagus Beans" and "Gnuddel Beans". The Asperagus beans got some sort of fungus and I don't think they're going to do anything. The Gnuddel beans are going strong and if things go well, we'll have some to try. I only planted about 12 seeds, so not sure how much we'll get from that. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just in time for summer. It looks like the perfect side dish to serve with food from the grill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! They sound good. We use a crockpot version most of the time, but I only use one kind of beans. I like the idea of mixed beans (especially when I end up with bits of dry beans leftover).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails