Saturday, June 9, 2012

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

It is crazy how the days that I have the most to write about are the same days that I have the least time to write.

I want to share some of the new recipes I've tried with our seasonal produce and our favorite cook-out food. I hope to show updates on our home project. Maybe even share the seasonal recipe organizer that appears to be working well for me.

But for now, I'll just share the dessert I made for our work crew this week.

Does anything say summer like homemade ice cream? With fresh strawberries in our garden, strawberry ice cream is a logical choice. I tried a new (to me) recipe from Passionate Homemaking. Not only was it super simple, it incorporated honey! If you prefer to use sugar, replace the honey in this recipe for one cup of sugar. I find that it is hard to cut back the sweetener in ice cream. Somehow freezing seems to disappear sweeteners.

My ice cream churn was large enough to hold a double batch. And it didn't last long!


Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

2 cup cream (Since I use raw milk, I just skimmed some cream off my milk.)
2 cup milk
2-3 cup mashed strawberries
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup strawberry jam (optional for greater strawberry flavor)

Blend all together. Pour into ice cream maker. Freeze according to ice cream maker's directions.
Enjoy!



7 comments :

  1. Thank you SO much for this recipe. My ice cream recipe is for vanilla ice cream. It is an old recipe and we love it but it is really hard to incorporate fresh fruit into it and have it turn out right. I have never thought of adding jam to our ice cream. I want to give this recipe a try. (maybe tonight). Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My! I am now drooling all over my keyboard : ) That looks wonderful and I am definitely going to try this recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy! I have never had ice cream with honey. We will have to try the recipe soon.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made vanilla ice cream today. I used vanilla creme whey protein powder in mine and some Stevia and unsweetened almond milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, your ice cream looks so inviting, thank you for the recipe! I remember as a boy going to the river and chopping ice for our ice cream maker, hauling it home in a gunny sack and then using a lot of elbow grease to make the ice cream. Thank you for bringing back good memories! August

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina,

    The ice cream looks so tasty!!! I am going to try the recipe!! Grandkids will love it!! Two comments in one, I want to tell you how beautiful the steps look!!! Great addition to your lovely home.

    Thanks and Blessings,
    Debbie S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to leave another comment on this ice cream recipe. It is now our favorite fresh fruit ice cream. I have made it twice already. Once with cherries and once with strawberries. I did use sugar instead of honey. It is definitely a keeper. Thanks again and God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails