Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread

Ultimately, my goal in sourdough baking was to make a 100% wild yeast 100% whole wheat bread. With this recipe, I found success. While we still love our basic whole wheat bread, this sourdough recipe has pushed into first place for our daily bread.

The recipe is just like the last two bread recipes I shared. The dough is mixed and baked the same day. If your starter is active and healthy, you would never guess that it contains no commercial yeast as it is light and soft. We think this bread makes the best toasted panini type sandwich that there is! Add some home cured bacon and garden fresh tomato and you will learn why fresh, home made, home grown food is best!


Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread


2 cup starter (19 oz)
1 cup milk (8 oz)
1/2 cup water (4 oz)
1/4 cup oil or melted butter (1.5 oz)
1/4 cup honey (3 oz)
5 cups whole wheat flour (23.5 oz)
3 tsp salt

Directions:

Mix all ingredients except salt for 2-3 minutes. Allow the dough to rest for about 20 minutes.

After rest, add salt and knead dough for about five minutes. If dough is too sticky, add slightly more flour but dough should be soft and not dry and stiff. Place in oiled bowl and allow dough to rise for 3-4 hours or until nearly doubled in size.

Divide dough into two pieces and shape into loaves and place in two greased bread pans. If a free form loaf is desired, place on greased baking sheet. Spray with oil and cover with plastic wrap to keep from drying out. Allow to rise for 2-3 hours.

When dough has risen, carefully slash the top.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. For even browning, turn loaves halfway through baking time.


Remember you can use a basic bread dough for rolls, raisin bread, cinnamon rolls and many other uses!

For more bread inspiration - see Yeast Spotting.

18 comments :

  1. Cannot wait to try this!! It looks delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe!! --S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! This is the one I have been waiting for. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina,

    For an additional nutritional boost I like to add a quarter cup of golden flax that is freshly ground. I use a coffee grinder or blender to grind it.

    First loaf out of the oven doesn't make it to dinner time, LOL.

    Winston Bearkiller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bread, as always, looks delicious. I love whole wheat sourdough.

    In your quest to bake 100% whole wheat sourdough, you might like trying this formuls:

    http://www.northwestsourdough.com/discover/?p=1193

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how lovely!

    I've NEVER been able to get a loaf of sour dough (wheat) to look that marvelous. I must look around for your starter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good! My mum is not a fan of crustyhard bread, and I've been searching for a sourdough ww recipe that's soft to convert her to sourdough. She isn't a fan of the sourdough flavour either heh. So I'm wondering, does this make a slightly tangy or very tangy bread? And if so, how can I reduce the sourness?? Please help, thanks! This looks so divine yet simple, I hope to try it (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shu Han
    I don't consider this bread very sour. But then we like sourdough bread very much so maybe we are not good tests.

    I think a lot of the "sour" flavor depends on your starter, how long you let it rise, how often you feed your starter, and probably other reasons as well! Sourdough is working with live organisms - so many things contribute. Some bakers add a little baking soda to sweeten it up.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gina, I love your blog and have found great inspiration in you! I used your whole wheat sourdough bread recipe and it came out really well except for the tops of the loaves burnt a little bit before the insides were done and I still pulled them out early. I'm fairly new to bread baking and wondered if you had any tips on how to stop the tops from burning. Thanks :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I've just heard there's a new way to make a pizza with a sourdough crust. You know, that's the part on the bottom. I love the sourdough taste and think it's a great idea but I've looked through half of Kentucky for a Pizza Hut that makes one or even knows how.
    Has anyone out there found one? Let me know?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this last night with my homemade (from scratch!) sourdough starter, neither of which I had ever used before! It turned out AMAZINGLY well! Delicious, beautiful, moist, and all-around wonderful! My husband and I ate it for breakfast, and I'm going to make a BLT for lunch with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I have been nursing my first ever sourdough starter for a little over a week now and today is baking day.

    To the person who was looking for more tang in the flavor, I've read that you do one to two additional risings. It increases the sour flavoring while decreasing the wheat taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Just discovered your blog and recipes and stayed up until 2:30 this morning reading it/them!

    I was wondering, on this bread are gluten and lecithin not necessary? I have always used them when making 100% whole wheat bread but I have never made whole wheat sourdough (just regular sourdough).

    Thanks from Alaska!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail - Thanks for visiting! I have made this bread without the gluten and lecithin and it turns out well. I do think it is softer with the additions. I know some people want to avoid gluten and lecithin so I added it as optional.
      Happy Baking,
      Gina

      Delete
  13. I am new at baking. and loving your site! Can I ask about what temp do you do cinnamin rolls with a basic bread recipe like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly -
      I would probably lower the heat for cinnamon rolls, maybe 375 degrees?
      Gina

      Delete
  14. This worked really well with my starter I made from kefir whey. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for your site. I have this bread in the oven right now. This is the third time I've made it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still learning how to be a joyful homemaker and I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails