Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anticipation



Dew sparkles on the grass and laundry sways in the breeze as I hang the last towel on the clothesline. The twitter of birds and the balmy air plead me to stay outdoors a few more minutes.


I notice the signs of spring in the garden. Delicate white blossoms peek from beneath glossy strawberry leaves. The asparagus spears have grown several inches since yesterday. The spring green in the row of peas uncurl their tendrils toward the sunshine.


In the berry row, petals unfurl. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries - each plant cradles small blossoms. Each bud bears the promise of future fruit. The garden waits in anticipation.

“Mom! Mom!”

The stillness is shattered. Startled back to reality, I pick up the laundry basket and hurry indoors to yet another quarrel.

Inside, I negotiate peace between brothers. My daughter whines to wear her favorite dress, buried in the laundry pile. The littlest one sulks over her scrambled eggs.


After correcting their bad attitudes, I find my own attitude faltering. Why can't I enjoy one morning of peace? Though I love my children dearly, I am weary of the immaturity, silliness, grumpiness, and incessant noise. I long to flee back to the garden, where the only sound is winged music, and delight in the springtime growth.


But when I strolled through my garden this morning, I felt no frustration at the lack of fruit. I thrilled at the sight of new growth and anticipate future harvest.


If I find delight in the immature buds in my garden, why am I so impatient with the immaturity I see in my children? Can I see my children as God's work in progress?



Fresh berries are delicious, but nothing compares with God's work in the hearts of His children. I'll tend His garden, pull the weeds, and trust God to bring a harvest of precious souls into His kingdom.

15 comments :

  1. So, true - yet, it seems like I always need a good reminder. It always amazes me how God will use nature to teach me a lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a wonderful reminder to start my day today with patience and seeing my boys through God's eyes! I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed to hear this today--summer is a difficult time for us as a family. It's hard to find activities that fill all their spare time, and don't try mom's patience. :) Thank you for the reminder that it's all a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very timely post! I have never looked at mothering with that perspective...simple, yet so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gina,

    Mine have grown and flown and if I could just have them small enough to balance them on my lap, just for five minutes. I remember a poem when they were small

    Cobwebs go hang,
    Dust go to sleep,
    I'm rockin' my babies,
    and babies don't keep.

    those were magical days xxx Froogs

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good to know that I'm in good company!

    Crazy thing is that I wrote this post early this morning (before children awoke) I was failing before lunch. Why is it that tests always come so fast!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! It is a great reminder!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great reminder! I was having my quiet time this morning and praying for patience and kind words with my children today. I didn't want to just "get through the day", I wanted to invest! Oh, how the trials came fast and hard! I thought, well, surely this is ruined. But a friend reminded me that maybe the Lord put it on my heart BEFORE it happened so I'd be aware and be praying that my heart would align with His. It's always easier to say than to do. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From a gramma's perspective... treasure each dirty hand print. After they have grown, you will look back and see how fast 13-14 years go by. In just a few years you will be tackling questions of driver's licenses, and courting, and jobs, and lessons in calculus, etc, etc, and then in a flash they're grown and bringing the grandchildren over... much more enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed this yesterday, but it is already a good reminder for me today. This is one of the verses (plus the end of the verse before it) from my bible reading today.

    Live in peace with one another. We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. - 1 Thes. 5:14

    I couldn't help but think of my children in this verse. I hope today goes better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing... I needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great reminder which I for one needed!! Bless you dear sister!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely, i have one daughter but I'll try to remember your lesson. it's a nice and mindful way to look at things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gina,
    Just found your blog today and this really spoke to me. So much so, it inspired a response. Here goes....

    Tuesday, March 13, 2018

    "Covered"

    It’s snowing again, and I feel locked away.
    But You direct my eyes to hear Your voice.

    “You tend My garden…”

    I do?

    I do. Even in winter.

    “And I tend you,” He says.

    ---

    I fail at tending His garden some days, but He never fails me.

    He waits for me.

    ---

    When I lift my face, You race to meet me.

    I’m blinded with light and tears fall from my eyes.

    You tell me I am Your beloved---
    covered, white like snow
    precious in Your eyes



    I don't think it was any coincidence I found your blog today, as I read that your husband is undergoing brain surgery. I'm praying you, your husband and your little ones feel that hug and "i love you" from the Father today. There no peace greater!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails