12 New Things Challenge was to make a head covering. To be honest, it was not exactly a "new" project because it isn't the first time I've tried making a covering. One of my friends is a skilled covering maker and she offered to teach me how to make my own. It took a lot of persuasion before I even believed I was capable of making my own covering. But she has been a patient teacher.
The challenge of covering making is that even an 1/8 of an inch makes a difference. I've sewn draperies, bridesmaid's dresses, and all my own clothing for years, but never tackled a sewing project this particular in the little details. Last winter, I made numerous attempts. I melted holes in the fabric. I slit holes while trimming the seams. Somewhere in the process I decided that wearing a scarf would be a more practical solution but I do prefer this style of head covering and I'm known for being stubborn. Eventually I succeeded in making something tolerable enough to wear and put the project aside.
This fall, all my coverings were a dingy brown and I decided I needed a new covering before my brother's wedding - which is why this task ended up on the 12 New Things list for October. I figured I would make half a dozen before it all came together into something wearable. But, thanks to the Lord, because I really didn't have much extra time in October, the first try was deemed successful.
It still has issues. I know there is at least three "professional" covering makers who read this blog and probably cringe at my attempts. My patient teacher may shudder sitting behind me at church. But since it was an improvement from my first tries, I was happy.
For those uninitiated into covering making, the goal is to take three pieces of tulle type fabric...
And turn it into a pleated cap that fits perfectly.
And here it is modeled.
Now I need to make a few more before I forget what I did right this time.
Next month- to learn to digitally scrapbook. I think maybe sewing may be preferred to learning something new on the computer...we'll see!