Monday, December 7, 2009

Canning Venison

I was asked to describe how to can deer meat. I was hoping to have some venison this week to take some photos of the process. So far, no meat has come my way, so I'll just try to describe it with words. Maybe later I can come back and add photos.

I love the convenience of canned meat for a quick meal. Canning venison makes it fork tender and removes any wild flavor. Of course, the final product is only as good as the meat you put into it. I have only ever canned young doe. We use the good cuts of meat and save the tougher cuts for grinding.

I will assume you have basic pressure canner skills. Do not try to can meat without a pressure canner. Boiling water alone will not raise the temperature high enough for safety.

Start by cutting the meat into chunks and trimming off bones, fat and gristle.
Fill pint or quart jars. Allow at least 1/2 inch of head space at the top of the jar.
Add 1 tsp of salt per quart.
Do not add water or broth to the jar. Broth will form by itself during canning.
Seal the jars with flats and rings and place in canner.
Follow directions for your pressure canner. For my canner meat is processed at 11 lb pressure for 75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts.

How to use canned meat. (besides eating it straight out of the jar)

My mom often uses canned venison for a quick Sunday lunch. First she drains off the broth, then rolls the chunks of meat in flour and quickly fries them. Pour the broth over hot noodles and you have a great meal in minutes!

We love to make a thick meat gravy over mashed potatoes. I dump the jar into a pan and stir in some flour. Add water to your liking and heat. Stir until thickened. Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles, or rice.

Sometimes I dump a jar in the crockpot on Sunday morning with chopped carrots, potatoes, and onions. A roast would never be done in a short morning, but since the meat is already cooked, it is only the veggies that need cooked.

Tomorrow I'll post another venison recipe that we love - which adapts well to canned meat.

2 comments :

  1. My mom always canned meat (from our home grown beef herd) and we ate it both cooked with noodles & flour/fried! I introduced my new husband to this yummy (QUICK!) At first skeptical -it's now his favorite too. I've never known another family to do this. So glad to find another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina,
    I wanted to come back on here and tell you someone gave us a deer and I canned 7 quarts of it by your recipe. It is awesome! I have already used 2 quarts of it and not one teaspoon of it has went to waste. ALL of it is getting eaten! I was so worried about not putting any water or broth in it but it REALLY DID make it's own broth! That was my first time for canning meat. I WILL be doing it again to because like you said it is SO convenient to use! We all dearly love it! THANK YOU for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails