Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Lazy Mom's Cinnamon Biscuits

On Saturday, a friend emailed me some photos of some luscious looking cinnamon buns. If there wasn't a foot of snow on the ground, with more coming down, and if she didn't live back a long lane, we would have been tempted to come visiting!

My husband took one look at the photo in the email and said that cinnamon buns were exactly what he was hungry for on the cold snowy evening!

Now, you know that I love to bake bread. My husband knows I like to bake bread. I'm not married to an unreasonable man and usually I love when he tells me something for which he is particularly hungry. But on Saturday evening, I just really wasn't in the mood to pull out the yeast and start kneading. But cinnamon buns sounded good to me, too!

My lazy mom's solution was these cinnamon biscuits. No, they are not as good as real cinnamon buns. But, with only 30 minutes total time, from when the idea hits until you sit down with a cup of cocoa and bite into your bun, this recipe is a keeper! Perfect for breakfast or bed time snack, give it a try the next time you are hit with the urge for homemade cinnamon buns! Or just to delight a sweet toothed husband.

This recipe comes from a card that has been in my recipe file for years and I'm not really sure the source.

2 cup flour (I used half whole wheat.)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in oil and buttermilk until just blended.
Turn dough onto floured counter and knead lightly. Roll dough into 15x8 rectangle.
Spread generously with soft butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar (about 1/2 cup) and cinnamon (about 2 tsp).
Roll up rectangle like jelly roll, starting from the long side. Cut into 6 to 8 slices.
Arrange slices in 9-inch round baking pan. Bake at 425 degrees until lightly browned, about 15-20 minutes. Serve with milk if desired.

These are best served hot but are not bad the next day either. Recipe can easily be doubled for 9x13 pan.

10 comments :

  1. They look good, and the dish you baked them in is so pretty. I happen to like pretty dishes! Also enjoy making things for my husband when he mentions something he hasn't had in a while. One of the joys of being a stay at home wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks YUMMY!
    I may have to try these for Christmas morning......thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like just my style...fast and good. I'm not a good cinnamon roll maker and Vince loves them, so I always feel bad that I rarely make them. Maybe I can surprise him some evening with these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That recipe is the very one I use for making biscuits--and mine came from the "More with Less Cookbook" Thanks for sharing this scrumptious idea! I see cinnamon biscuits in my VERY near future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this recipe - I found your site looking to satisfy a late-night doughnut craving, and these worked well too - they also helped my youngest child get to sleep. Nothing like a warm snack to help an overtired child calm down enough to fall asleep. =)

    What temperature do you use to bake these? I tried 350 for 20 minutes but they were still very raw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kendra-
    Sorry I missed the temperature. I'll add it into the recipe. I bake it at 425 degrees.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you suggest a replacement for the buttermilk as I am unable to buy any where I live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use milk with a little vinegar or lemon juice added (Maybe a tsp per cup.) I never buy buttermilk from the store as it has lots of preservatives added.
      Gina

      Delete
  8. I've made this recipe several times and it's amazing!! Wondering if you've tried to make it the night before and pop them in the oven in the morning. I have Christmas morning in mind. Blessings to you!! Elise

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make these regularly!!! I can turn on the oven to preheat and have them put together by the time the oven is warm!! We like a little honey drizzled on top! Especially as I don't put a lot of brown sugar inside. Easiest, healthiest cinnamon roll I've ever had! And I use all whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails