Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Our zucchini plant is growing huge and producing prolifically! My goal is to pick them young and small but I failed to check it for several days over the weekend. By Monday I had three large zukes to do something with! It was time to make zucchini bread!
My mother-in-law shares her old copies of Healthy Cooking with me. I haven't tried many of the recipes but I find it interesting how they adjust favorite recipes to lighten without sacrificing taste. I found this recipe for chocolate zucchini bread, which I further adjusted. I can never make a recipe just as written! It was a hit at our house!

1 1/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
2/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups shredded zucchini

Beat sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients. Gently stir in zucchini. Pour in two greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans.

4 comments :

  1. i'll be watching your blog closely for more zuke recipes....we planted one for the first time this year, and we were away for the weekend...guess what we came home to?!? yup, ours are larger than i wanted them to be, too! :-)
    ~eunice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a chocolate zucchini cake and sprinkle chocolate chips on top as soon as it comes out of the oven. I gave the recipe to my Amish friends who were amazed that a dessert could be make with zucchini! LOL
    Ruth in PA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so very tasty! I didn't plant zucchini this year in my wee little garden, but certainly plan to next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and you call those big!? I've found some hidden under the leaves that you could have rolled up in a blanket, put on a bonnet and called it a baby!! LOL This year I plan to pick those babies before that stage! Keep the recipes coming! A friendly reminder, over zuke season, always lock your car doors when you go to church! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails