Thursday, December 4, 2008

Book Review - Hearth and Home

Hearth and Home

I've been enjoying this warm cozy book by Karey Swan. The book combines recipes, homemaking tips, mothering wisdom and family memories all in one encouraging volume.

I was struck by her observation that she needed to protect her time at home in order to get beyond the maintenance part of homemaking (cleaning, ironing, laundry) and get to the creative part of homemaking (which for her was crafting, sewing, and hospitality). In her opinion, the creative side of homemaking was what kept her from getting burned out - but only happened if she was home for long stretches of time and avoided time on the road.

This was a book that had me copying down recipes and considering ways I could improve my homemaking skills. Her "from scratch" cooking style is just down my line! It gave me new thoughts as I train my children and strive to become a better wife and mother. It is one of those books that I could turn to every year and probably learn something new. And if not, then I'd at least be encouraged afresh in my role as a homemaker!

1 comment :

  1. Hi Gina I just wanted to thank you for this book review. I've been reading your blog from the beginning and I ordered this and it came a few days ago. What a beautiful book! I would never have found it otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails