Saturday, October 28, 2023

Illness and Grief




A friend asked, how has widowhood changed your life? What do you wish others knew about widowhood? Here are some thoughts . . .

Our family had been remarkably healthy for years. Ed had seasonal allergies in the spring. One child had a few rashes as a baby which she outgrew. Another baby had bronchitis twice that required antibiotics. But most of our six children had never had any medications stronger than Tylenol. None of my children had a broken bone or stitches or been hospitalized since their birth. Our family’s medical history could fit on an index card.

Do bad things happen in groups? They did for Job, though we know those events weren’t random but a test from the enemy allowed by God. Sometimes it feels as if once the wrecking ball starts swinging, everything falls apart.

A few months after Ed’s brain cancer diagnosis, I heard screams for help and ran to the door to see my son hobble toward me. Wet grass, a small hill, and slippery boots somehow resulted in a collision course with his brother pushing a lawn mower. For the first time, I rushed a child to the emergency room. Ed left work and met us at the ER.

I wondered what the medical personal thought when they saw Ed’s nearly bald head clearly displaying a long skull scar. Clearly our family already had faced trauma. I rode in the ambulance with our son as they transferred him to a larger hospital and watched him being wheeled into the operating room twice in the next two days as surgeons repaired his knee. Thankfully he hadn’t injured any bones or tendons, and he healed quickly with only an ugly scar to remember the event.

But the doctor visits continued. And not just for Ed, whose medical file grew longer each month. In the two years between Ed’s diagnosis and death, all but one of us needed medical treatment. A broken arm, a bull’s eye rash, a UTI, a cut hand, and a leg rash so severe the doctor called in his co-worker to look at it. 

None of these were chronic conditions and each healed quickly, but at the time it felt overwhelming. What would happen next? I knew with six children, accidents and illness were inevitable, but why all on top of each other? Now? I wanted to hide our latest injury or illness from our friends and family, because I didn’t want to be on the prayer list yet again. I didn’t want pity, though I felt like pitying myself.

After Ed’s death, I observed that widows have two reactions to their personal health.

Some widows become more careful, almost paranoid. It was understandable. Their heartbeat is the only thing that stands between their children becoming orphans. Losing a husband, especially if he was young, makes you realize that life is fragile and contains no guarantees. It is easy to worry about every sun spot, push mega doses of supplements, and panic about busy highways.

Other widows become more cynical. They may have tried to eat healthful diets, taken safety precautions, and prayed for healing and protection, yet their husband died anyway. Why try to live a healthful lifestyle if death is inevitable? If you can’t grow old with the love of your life, living a long life no longer has an appeal. When dreams for a future together evaporate, life can feel pointless.

Widows can experience survival guilt. Why are they alive and their husbands gone? Why were they granted more years, more time with their children and their husband did not?

Some widows face financial challenges which not only add more stress, but also discourages spending money on their own health needs. A widow with children may focus on her children’s needs to the determent of their own. Not only is she parenting alone, and may be too busy for time to unwind and relax, she doesn’t have a husband to persuade her to get rest or medical help if needed.

After a traumatic loss, many people experience physical symptoms from stress. Some women lose hair, maybe as much as 50% of their hair—the result of hormonal imbalance from grief stress. Some women’s weight fluctuates, and they become under or over-weight. The distraction of grief and the inability to think clearly can cause an increased number of accidents and injuries. Numerous studies have shown that if you lose your spouse, you have a significantly higher likelihood of dying in the next six months.

A few weeks after Ed’s death, I began having pain in my right elbow. Sometime the pain even interfered with sleep. I couldn’t remember injuring my arm, and the pain seemed to wax and wane without reason. It was many months before it began to feel normal again and several years later, I sometimes found myself still pampering that elbow.

About the same time that the elbow pain began, I lost my voice. I could still hold a conversation, but I couldn’t sing or read aloud to my children. I struggled through homeschooling, and we listened to an audio Bible for family devotions. At church, I didn’t want to draw attention by not singing so I mouthed the words and choked back tears while wondering if I’d ever be able to sing again.

Neither elbow pain or losing my voice were major health conditions, but at the time, the questions felt heavy. Was my body reacting to stress? Had I injured myself while caring for Ed? Was my body warning me to slow down? Did I have a deeper health issues? Was I simply getting older?

A few years after Ed’s death, I realized that I hadn’t had a physical check-up since my last baby’s birth, seven years before. I knew it was wise to get updated blood work and a general check-up, but I kept putting it off. Even more important, with my family history of colon cancer, was to schedule a colonoscopy, but it was easy to ignore. Ed would have insisted that I schedule the appointments, but it was hard to force myself to make the phone calls.

Finally I visited my doctor for a physical, updated my blood work, scheduled the colonoscopy, and asked a friend to drive me the appointment since I’d be unable to drive home afterwards.

I dreaded the colonoscopy. I had never liked needles. Even though I had birthed six babies in the hospital, I had never had an IV. When Ed would get an IV during his many hospital stays, I always carefully averted my eyes lest I get weak-kneed. I had never had any kind of surgical procedure nor been under anesthesia, so I fought down anxiety at the thought of the colonoscopy.

This is your public safety announcement: If you are over forty, consider getting a colonoscopy. Colon cancer is the third most common cancer in the US and preventable with a colonoscopy. It wasn’t as bad as I expected. With my family history, this won’t be my last one so I’m glad I no longer have to dread it.

Grief affects people differently, but anyone who experiences traumatic grief will be affected by stress. And stress impacts the very cells and hormones of the body. Knowing this fact can help make sense of the fatigue, distraction, maybe even mysterious ailments after a loved one’s death.

I had a compassionate husband—one that said things like “You go to bed, I’ll finish the dishes” or “Let’s get a babysitter so we can go away this weekend.” Part of widowhood has been accepting the loss of someone who knows my needs and cares for me as himself. While the modern focus on self-care is perhaps out of balance, we do need to care for our bodies as temples of God. If you are a tight-wad cynic like me, you may need to force yourself to schedule the doctor appointment or buy the vitamins.

And if you are close to a widow, help her care for herself. Ask if she is stressing about finances, offer to babysit so she has time alone, and encourage her to get needed medical care. It might feel like prying to ask about her medical needs, but she might not have anyone else who will.

All photos from our delightful family trip to Outer Banks, North Carolina.

18 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing. I am also a widow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminded me of two friends who each lost their partners in their 30’s. They both said that initially it felt as if they couldn’t have a conversation without being asked how they were and being told to look after themselves but that after a couple of years people seemed to almost avoid talking to them about how they were doing incase they upset them or reminded them of their loss. They both then felt that they should just “get on with life” and ended up neglecting their own health as they tried to juggle their families needs. Thank-you for sharing your experiences and reminding us all that as long as we are sensitive it helps to ask how someone is doing and if they may need any support at that moment in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Bless you for being sensitive to your friends needs, especially long term. You are right, it is easy for the first grief to pass from general acknowledgement but the pain continues.
      Gina

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures; God's creation is lovely and your smile testifies to that. Thanks for sharing these truthful thoughts and insights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just lost my husband in July to brain cancer also. We would have celebrated 47 years today. We only had 2 1/2 months together after his diagnosis. It luckily never caused him any physical pain. The only reason we discovered he had a problem was because he started experiencing left hand weakness. We thought he might have had a mini stroke. Doc sent him to hospital for CT to check for a stroke. Came back no stroke, but 3 large tumors. That was the end of April, he passed July 2nd. I am still reeling. We had just retired. Just moved to a small town in Idaho from Calif. And were going to start building a new home on the 5 acres we had purchased 20 years ago. Then this happens. Please pray for me and my daughter. We need all the help we can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very sorry. Brain cancer is cruel. I know how hard anniversaries are, but I hope you can remember some of the good times in your marriage. May God hold you close. Gina

      Delete
  5. Hi Gina, thank you for sharing this. We too have experienced physical infirmities in awful groups. My husbands hairy cell leukemia diagnosis, a child with acute/chronic limes for a year and a half, 3 children with limes, Er visits for broken bones, another child with Lymes and financial struggles in the midst due to these things. People weary in the well doing. We especially need Hur and Aaron's to lift up our arms for the battle. Praying for you today. As a mother, I have often put my needs last as well, especially physical and dental. As a widow I an imagine how much more.

    I have a friend who is in her early 40s and lost her husband last year. She is looking for connection with other young widows. She knows older widows but none, who are still raising her family. Would you have any ideas? We live in SE PA. About an hour from Lancaster. Thanks!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I'm sorry you could relate to troubles coming in groups. May you be strengthened today.

      I'd be glad to connect with your friend and put her in contact with other widows. I know a number of youngish widows in the Lancaster area. Can you message me? walkingbymyside@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. My nephew passed away almost two years ago at thirty-nine years old. He and his wife had no children. After reading your post, I realize that his widow is dealing with survivor’s guilt. She has worried about finances too. We live hundreds of miles away from her, but I keep in touch with her and continue to pray for her. I pray for her to return to God, as she now wants nothing to do with Him. She said that no God who takes someone so young deserves her praise and devotion. Her turning away from Him makes me sadder than the passing of my nephew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. Suffering often leads people to reject God. I wish they could see that God didn't create a world with death, but only human's sin has brought death and suffering to the world, so God is not to blame for our suffering. He wants to comfort us in our sorrows and give us a hope of resurrection.
      Gina

      Delete

  7. This world’s grief and suffering are intertwined with the brokenness of our fallen world in so many heart breaking ways.
    Even though our stories are different, the truths are still the same.
    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tony and I would have celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary last Friday . He died in March, 15 months after a diagnosis of Prostate cancer .

    I would welcome death ( although not illness ) I would welcome the ending of this life as I cannot be where he is not
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siobhan, I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. I hope you can find joy in the years that God gives you on earth, even though you miss your husband so much.
      Gina

      Delete
  9. Great post. When I experienced a time of intense grief and life stress a few years back, it manifested not in physical illness but in emotional/mental stuff - depression, brain fog, etc. It surprised me how intense it was and how long it took to recover (years).

    Glad to see a discussion of the link between grief/stress and illness. It's so real!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianna, I'm glad you are doing better now! Gina

      Delete
  10. I lost my husband 18 months ago. We had just passed our 33rd anniversary. We had no children. It's not that people are unkind, but of course they go back to their busy lives. It's understandable. Evenings and nights are sometimes hard. I miss him a lot. Dealing with home repairs and yard maintenance, etc. is stressful. I feel like a bad Christian because I struggle so with him being taken (I feel) 20 years too soon. But I know he is with God. I do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very timely for me. My husband of 24 years died in June in open heart surgery. He was 52. A month later, I found out I have endometrial cancer. Our son, autistic, is 15. Yay me. I know God is in control, and none of this is a surprise to Him. I know He's with me. But dang, it's lonely just the same. One day at a time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, Tammy. That is so hard. I'm sorry you don't have your husband with you during this hard time.
      Gina

      Delete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails