Monday, January 18, 2021

31-Day Phone Challenge - Day 18

 


What do we reach for when we are bored or lonely or when we want to avoid washing a stack of dishes or tackling a hated project? Maybe past generations scooped a bowl of ice cream or reached for chocolates, but I’m guessing many of us pick up our phones.


Catherine Price says, “Most addictions stem from a desire to feel better or to make a bad feeling go away. If you try to cut back on your phone use without first figuring out what you’re trying to achieve or avoid, you’re dooming yourself to failure.”


For the next several days, I challenge you to think about how you feel before and after time on social media. What emotions prompt you to pick up your phone? Maybe boredom? How do you feel when you set it down? Anxious? Guilty? Jealous? Depressed?


When you want to pick up your phone, ask “What reward am I seeking? What discomfort am I trying to escape? Do I believe that spending time on Instagram will make me feel better?”


Jesus has offered us an amazing invitation. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28


My phone will never give me the rest that Jesus gives. Gorging ourselves on chocolate or scanning Instagram is a weak replacement when what we need is more Jesus. If we become aware of what we are seeking, we can choose to give our souls the needed nutrition. Maybe we do need a break from a task but will scrolling give us a better break than taking a walk, calling a friend, or sitting on the porch? There is nothing wrong with a bit of junk food, unless we mistake it for nutrition.


Today’s Challenge: Ask, “What discomfort am I fleeing when I pick up my phone? How can I find the rest I need in Jesus?”

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails