Thursday, January 2, 2020

Goals and Routines: What Works for Me

My extroverted, optimistic self loves a new year. I relish new planners, empty calendar pages, and goal lists. The promise of new experiences is heady.

Last year I admitted to being terrified as I thought of 2019. Even though I know it will hold many challenges, I find myself anticipating the new year. If God could help us survive last year, He'll be with us this year too.

For years I have begun each year with blogging about reading God's Word. Last year several friends joined me in discussing Bible Reading. (Check out Choosing His Words last January.) This year I again thought I'd begin a conversation.

Though I may look at the year with optimism, the realistic part of me can get discouraged. In the past months I've struggled to find a routine that works for me. Not just for Bible reading. Everything.

So much of my life was built around Ed's schedule. With Ed's sickness and death, I lost many of our routines. It didn't matter when I got up in the morning, how long I stayed up at night, or when I served meals. I have been trying to slowly build better habits, but sometimes the needs seem overwhelming. Do I change everything at once? Do I pick one area to focus on? When it goes well for one week and then we slip back into our bad habits how do I start again?

I know that in the various seasons of life, routines and schedules need to be adapted to meet our needs. What worked well for me five years ago needs adjusted with different ages of children and different roles. The job chart that we used for years doesn't fit now. The time I spent reading my Bible while nursing isn't available. My children need challenged in new ways and I need to find a new role as manager.

So I asked several friends to share what is working for them in this season of life. The goal is not that we will copy each other, but that we can learn and be encouraged to build healthy routines that work for us.

Last night, looking at the 365 days to come, I made a list of areas that I need to grow in. I felt rather small when I was done. My optimism quailed in the face of my failures and setting goals for the new year felt impossible.

I knew the only thing I could do is what I learned through Ed's illness, open up my hands and give my life (my days, my problems, my plans) back to God.

"And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Join us tomorrow as we discuss Goals and Routines: What Works for Me.

6 comments :

  1. ASI ES HERMANA: DEJAR TODO EN LAS MANOS DEL SEÑOR¡¡¡ EL DARA Y HARA CONFORME A SU VOLUNTAD, POR MAS QUE TE ESFUERCES EN ESTO O AQUELLO, DIOS TENDRA EN SUS MANOS TUS DIAS, TUS HORARIOS ECT., TODO SALDRA DE ACUERDO A SU PLAN, NO LO DUDES. POR SUPUESTO QUE DEBEMOS SER ORDENADOS, DIOS ES UN DIOS DE ORDEN Y LO DEMAS VENDRA SOLO. CON ACCION DE GRACIAS, COMENZAMOS ESTE NUEVO AÑO, DEJANDO TODOS NUESTROS PLANES EN SUS MANOS. ¿PUEDES PASAR POR MI BLOG Y DEJAR ALGUN COMENTARIO? HE TRABAJADO ULTIMAMENTE EN ALGUNOS OBSEQUIOS QUE LES REGALE PARA CADA UNO DE MIS HIJOS E HIJAS CASADAS, SON IDEAS PRACTICAS QUE SIRVEN PARA EL HOGAR, HICE 7 BOLSOS QUE SIRVEN PARA GUARDAR LOS BROCHES PARA COLFAR ROPA, PARA PONER EN EL BAÑO, PARA GUARDAR COSMETICOS A LAS QUE LES GUSTA MAQUILLARCE ECT Y 7 FRASCOS DECORADOS, SE PUEDE GUARDAR BOTONES, AHUJAS, AROS,PULSERAS, HILOS ECT. DIOS TE BENDIGA A TI Y TUS HIJOS EN ESTE NUEVO AÑO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina,

    Thank you so much for your post today. I have struggled with this for a long time, and I would like to make a fresh start this year. I would appreciate any ideas you have on how to be more productive and how to not eat the bread of idleness. I look forward to your future posts about this routines and good habits and thank you for the encouragement you have given me. I pray that you and your family have a blessed new year as you continue to trust in God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely echo what Heather said above. I too would appreciate hearing your ideas on how to be more productive and not eat the bread of idleness.

      Thank you so much, Gina. I pray for you and the family every Tuesday!

      Delete
  3. keeping you all in prayer, looking forward to your posts. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't usually jump on the New Year's resolutions band wagon, but I read a blog post about it that stood out to me. I don't know if it'll be helpful to you or not, but here is a link to the blog. Here's the bit that popped at me. "Only write down what God's been telling you to change/start. Why? Because, always, He'll send Grace to help with those specific things."
    http://debrasotherthoughts.blogspot.com/2020/01/new-year-resolutions-i-love-em.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AsISeeItNow+%28As+I+See+It+Now%29

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails