Friday, April 3, 2015

He Giveth More Grace

Nothing had went well. The dreary weather matched my mood. None of the projects I started today were close to being finished. Unwashed dishes sat on the counter, unfolded laundry stood in the corner, while unfinished school work was strewn on the table. I wasn't sure how I was going to survive the bickering children until bedtime, especially when my husband called to say that he would be home late yet again.

I happened to catch sight of a verse a poem and stopped to read it.

He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater, 
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase; 
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy, 
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.


Hmmm...so according to this poem, it is days like this that God gives more grace. I like the idea of getting more grace but not if it means greater burdens, increased labor, added afflictions, and multiplied trials. But is it true that His “strength is made perfect in weakness?” (2 Corinthians 12:9)

I read on.
When we have exhausted our store of endurance, 
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done, 
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources 
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

I thought of a friend who had been in the hospital with her young daughter. Medication was not controlling her daughter's seizures. Doctors and their medications were failing. Was it true that when we are at the end of our resources that our Father's assets are just beginning?

Or what about my friend whose twin sons were still in the hospital weeks after their birth? Each day seemed to bring another report of a medical complication. Could their family endure another day, week, month of this hospital life?

I thought of another friend, the mother of a handicapped child. I try to care and sympathize, but I can't imagine her sleepless nights and the physical weariness that have plagued her every day for the last thirteen years. I wish I could help carry her load, but how can I help?

But the poem had more.
Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision, 
Our God ever yearns His resources to share; 
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing; 
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

Another friend came to mind. She is my age, not yet forty, with seven small children to keep her days busy. But many days her movements are limited by the pain of arthritis that clenches her limbs. I know that she leans hard on His arms, trusting that He will carry both her and her load.

Out of curiosity, I looked for some information on the author of this poem, Annie Johnson Flint. What life experiences led her to write these words of encouragement? Did she know about great needs that can be filled only with God's resources? 

She did.

Annie was three year old when she lost her mother and soon after, her father also died. Annie taught school but in her second year, she was afflicted with arthritis. Within a few years, she could hardly walk and Annie was forced to give up teaching. Not long after, Annie's adopted parents died. She and her sister were left alone with almost no money.

Annie used her long days of suffering to encourage others by writing poetry and sharing it through hand-lettered cards, gift books, and letters. Many were blessed through the ministry of her painfully twisted fingers though often it was wondered how she could write with such refreshing humor and joy while experiencing her own great trials. Annie was convinced that God had a purpose in her life and that He would glorify Himself through her frailty.

Annie ends her poem with...
His love has no limits, His grace has no measure, 
His power no boundary known unto men; 
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus 
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.
I look around again at my unfinished housework and whiny children and realize that I have a choice. I can be miserable, and make others around me miserable. Or I can choose, like Annie, to accept the limitless grace of my Lord.


The choice seems obvious.

15 comments :

  1. what a great encouragement! Thank you for sharing this! Meredith in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Life is so much about choice, much more than I would like it to be! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of my dear friend whose marriage is on the rocks. She remains so happy that I asked her about it. "I have two choices," she told me. "I can either give in to my emotions and be a wreck or I can reach out and accept His grace. I have chosen grace." I am inspired by her, by Annie, and by your post. May God make us women of grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The warm fireplaceApril 3, 2015 at 7:07 PM

    Thank you so much for Annies poem, i have placed it in my journal it is so insiprational, there are so many that need to "lean hard on the arm everlasting", it is so hard when you have so much to do i remember being in your situation so many years ago, now the house is empty and how i long for those muddled days. God bless you,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen and amen. Thank you for sharing what lifted you. God bless you, dear Gina, and your precious, precious family. Lifted in Tennessee. (Lisa, aching, joyous mother of many)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these beautifully written words of encouragement, An Easter blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great poem! We all need God's grace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since you shared the lines of this song with me while we were in the hospital, I've not been able to read or sing it without getting a tiny bit weepy. Like now. And the words take on greater meaning with the story of the author. Perhaps the sooner we reach the end of those hoarded resources, the sooner we get to God's amazing grace. Perhaps that's why God allows us to go through difficulties.

    Thank you for sharing this, Gina. May His grace overwhelm you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Gina, for answering my question of Annie Johnson Flint's story...we have been reading Streams in the Desert and just the other day she was quoted. I mentioned that she most likely has a story that her words were so powerful! Thank you for the inspiration!

    Blessings to you this Easter weekend!
    ~Eunice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you..... I needed to hear these words today as my son was just diagnosed with a brain tumor. God is good.... all the time, even when we can't see it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, many times we need to reach "the end of our hoarded resources" before God can work. We want to be in control. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this post. I get weighed down from every day chores here. None of which are that time consuming. Not really. I get bored. Thank you for sharing your life...Your stories...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for this post! I really needed that encouragment today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love this post. I'm so thankful for your blog and I saw you drive past our house the other day :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails