Saturday, July 20, 2013

Rest

 Rest...it is hard to find on these busy summer days with a multitude of projects screaming at me.

 But I was reminded this week that rest isn't just a good nights sleep or all my projects completed. Rest is found in trust.

 I'm going to share an old post from three years ago that shares the words to an hymn that continues to minister to me.

Resting in Life's Chaos

"For as he thinketh in his heart so he is." Proverbs 23:7

This verse has been on my mind a lot recently. I've been trying to deliberately think about what is going through my mind. Often I find a chorus of "I'm so frustrated, or annoyed, or tired, or...." While it all may be true and I may think I have a good excuse for frustrated emotions - listening to the broken record repeat itself in my head sure did nothing to improve my mindset.

I've been deliberately (I'm learning to love that word) choosing to focus my mind on something good. My friend, Paula put it so well in a story she told last night, "choosing to laugh, then finding you want to laugh"!

I'm not talking about some sort of "power of positive thinking". But rather "bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." (11 Corinthians 10:5)

A very practical step that has helped me is listening to good music. Amazing how a cd of hymns can calm me and spread peace to the rest of the household.

Recently I printed off the words to a hymn I'd like to memorize and posted it by my kitchen sink. I try to sing through the verses at least once a day and find myself humming the tune the rest of the day. I love the words to this hymn and will share them below. I just can't sing about resting in the love of Christ without it affecting my attitude!

I'd love to hear how other busy moms keep their focus on God throughout their day.

Jesus I Am Resting, Resting
by Jean S. Pigott 1876

Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.

Refrain:
Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.

O, how great Thy loving kindness,
Vaster, broader than the sea!
O, how marvelous Thy goodness,
Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Belovèd,
Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
And have made it mine.


Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart;
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings:
Thine is love indeed!


Ever lift Thy face upon me
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting ’neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
Earth’s dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father’s glory,
Sunshine of my Father’s face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting,
Fill me with Thy grace.

Here is a video where you can hear the tune.

5 comments :

  1. A very sweet post Gina. It is really a struggle to keep a restful spirit in this busy world. But I do constantly long to find refuge and peace in Him. I am like you, I love music that keeps my mind in a peaceful, rest or worship. I like what you talked about focusing on "good". It is what we are told to do in Philippians, and it really does keep us on the path. Laughter also allows us to dispel the frustrations of life. I have learned to say "no" to "extra" commitments more often in my life, which helps also.

    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't actually come across that hymn before. I found it truly beautiful.

    This post was a wonderful reminder and encouragement to me as well to take captive every thought!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this!!! What a blessing and encouragement! May the Lord bless you! Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Oh, how great Thy loving kindness,
    Vaster, broader than the sea..."

    Thank you for this post. As I write this, while on a brief vacation at the beach, I am looking at the sea and thinking about God's loving kindness in a new way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Gina, I was just thinking how it is in the rest I ever get anything done, this does release His peace and fragrance in my life and home. Pray you're feeling great and enjoying this season in waiting!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails