Monday, June 24, 2013

Strawberry-Rhubarb Hand Pies




















A crisp dough with juicy filling with the taste of June. Delightful!



Dice 3/4 cup strawberries and 3/4 cup rhubarb.



Toss the fruit with cornstarch and sugar.



Mix up your favorite pie crust or use the recipe below. I like a little sweeter dough so that it has a crisp sugar cookie taste.



Roll out the dough and cut with a biscuit cutter (about 2 1/4 inch).



Spoon a teaspoon or two of fruit filling in the center of the dough circle. Dampen the edges of the dough with water and top with another dough circle.

 

With a fork, crimp the edges. Cut a slit on the top.

Bake until lightly browned.

 
Strawberry-Rhubarb Hand Pies

3/4 cup diced strawberries
3/4 cup diced rhubarb
1 T cornstarch
2 T sugar
2 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup lard or shortening
3 T cold water

Toss the finely diced fruit with cornstarch and 2 T. sugar.
Mix flour, salt, and 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in butter and lard. Stir in water. Knead slightly. Roll out the dough and cut with a biscuit cutter (about 2 1/4 inch).

Spoon a teaspoon or two of fruit filling in the center of the dough circle. Dampen the edges of the dough with water and top with another dough circle. With a fork, crimp the edges. Cut a slit on the top. Optional: You may brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Eat warm or at room temperature. These are best eaten in a day or two.

In July I want to try these with blueberries and rhubarb - or maybe even raspberries!

9 comments :

  1. I've been meaning to make these for sometime and even blogged about it once (I saw a recipe for them in a Southern Living Magazine) These things look so yummy! With just a side of black coffee, thank you!

    If I knew where you lived - I'd invite myself over for a bite. Ha! Can you tell I'm hungry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had rhubarb, but those look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good. I've harvested gallons of rhubarb already off of my one plant. I like to freeze it to use all year long. I hope to get several more pickings before it's done for the year.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so good. Waiting for strawberry picking to start in this area, it is behind this year because of our cold spring .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to try these! Thankfully, HyVee has frozen rhubarb! :) I am always trying to find a simple snack that my husband can take in his lunch, or just something for an anytime sweet treat. This recipe idea looks pretty adaptable, too (peach, cherry, apple, etc) Thanks so much for sharing!

    Alicia

    PS As much as I hope you have enjoyed your time away, I've missed you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. About how many pies does this recipe make, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many you get depends on how big you make them and how thinly you roll the dough. Anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 dozen.
      Gina

      Delete
  7. These look wonderful. Our rhubarb (our first to ever grow) was looking beautiful. Then we noticed it was droopy and soft and found ants making a home in the center of the plant where it comes out of the grown. I'm guessing the ants caused the droopy soft stalks. Much of it had to be cut out. Now we are down to one of our three plants that is just starting to sprout up new growth. Any suggestions on how to keep the ants away naturally??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of ants attacking rhubarb. And I can't think of any solution to you problem. I hope you find something that will work.
      Gina

      Delete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails