Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Old Fashioned Shortcake

Regina's natural sugar article has inspired me to experiment more with my favorite recipes.

One of the recipes I use often this time of year is shortcake. The recipe we use is more of a biscuit/scone type shortcake. We eat it several times a week while strawberries are in season. With a handful of berries and some fresh milk, it is a refreshing breakfast, light lunch or dessert.

I have found that some recipes are easier than others to change to natural sugars, specifically honey which is usually my number one choice but sometimes changes the consistency. This recipe there was no noticeable difference.



Old Fashioned Shortcake


2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1 tsp salt
6 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup oil or butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Mix flours, salt, and baking powder together. In another bowl mix honey, oil, eggs, and buttermilk.
Combine all together just until mixed. Pour into two greased round cake pans or one 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Tips:
Do not over mix any batter that contains baking powder or soda, such as biscuits, muffins, or pancakes. If there is a few dry floury spots in the dough, you have mixed enough.

 

Buttermilk - I make my own buttermilk by mixing a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar with a cup of milk. This is so simple and avoids the preservatives found in most purchased buttermilk. 

What is your favorite way to enjoy strawberries?

18 comments :

  1. oh yummy!!! and I'm glad to find your recipe using honey, because of all the non-sugar sweetners that is my favorite too. :)
    I'm so happy that strawberries are in abundance right now - love them!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good Gina.Bet it tastes divine.Love strawberry season

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would it be ok to just use all white wheat flour? And also is the shortcake sweet? I have a hard time eating breads that don't have a sweetness to them. Thanks!! I love your blog so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could. I just haven't tried it. Not yet!
      Gina

      Delete
    2. Oops! Forgot your other question. I would describe it as delicately sweet. Not overpowering at all. But everyone's tastes are different!
      Gina

      Delete
  4. This sounds delicious!!! :) Thank you for sharing it! I love your header! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Gina! I am going to try this the next time we get some strawberries. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have a lot of strawberries, try adding some sliced to a salad, especially with bitter greens like arugula. You can also mash up some of the overripe berries into a vinaigrette. Pretty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the recipe, will be trying that this weekend for the jubilee! ;)

    I just found your blog via Frugal Queen, just had a quick peek and I love it. Have added you to my reader xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gina - how do you make buttermilk - do you have to leave it to stand with the lemon in it? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily -
      I let it sit only a few minutes, usually just until I get the other ingredients measured.

      Just to clarify, this isn't true buttermilk, just an excellent substitute in recipes.
      Gina

      Delete
  9. We love strawberry milkshakes: Fill blender 2/3 full of vanilla ice cream, fill on up with strawberries, drizzle a little honey or stevia, a little vanilla flavoring, and fill blender maybe 1/2 full of milk (after all the other ingredients are in). Blend and enjoy!
    Ps. We had your shortcake for dinner last evening. I think I baked it a little too long- it was a little bit dry, but great with milk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gina, if you want real cultured buttermilk all you need to do is add 1/4 cup of real buttermilk in a quart jar and fill with milk. Let it sit out, covered, for about 24-36 hours (depends on weather and how thick you want it) and you will have a jar full of thick, rich buttermilk.
    Wonderful for pancakes, biscuits and homemade salad dressings.

    Easy and so good for you!

    ~Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darla, I used to make my own but got away from it. I should start again.
      Gina

      Delete
  11. Oh, yummy! Thank you for sharing! I can't wait to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it that you used honey...that is the way we sweeten all of our baked goods and desserts as well. Happy Strawberry season!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails