Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Children + Beach = Fun



 If you take children to the beach, don't expect to spend your day on a beach towel. At least if your children are like ours.



Ed and I were never ones to vegetate on a vacation. Our first anniversary was spent canoe camping on a river in New Hampshire.



But maybe it is showing my age (turned another year older while at the beach last week) that my heart sank a little to hear the excited voices of my children at the crack of dawn each morning on vacation.



It isn't that I didn't want to see my children during vacation. Ed and I are celebrating our tenth anniversary this summer and we thought of all sorts of places that would be fun to visit as an anniversary trip. But we finally decided that we wanted to enjoy vacation with our children. (Not that I think there is anything wrong with spending time alone as a couple!)



But I have to admit, that I was hoping to sleep in once during a week's vacation. But that wasn't in our children's plans. They were up and running every morning before 7:00!



It is good that they crashed in the afternoon for naps because this mama could barely keep up with climbing sand dunes, chasing ghost crabs in the moonlight, and hiking up the tallest lighthouse on the east coast.



Our vacation destination was the little village of Waves on Hatteras Island on the Outer Banks, NC. This is the same area we visited two years ago. I'm guessing that we would hate this area in the summer as we despise crowds, especially beach crowds, but May was perfect. Nearly empty beaches, weather warm enough to enjoy the water but not hot enough to be uncomfortable.

 

We did have several days of rain. We spent those days visiting some of the historical sites and nature trails in the area.



My brother and his family joined us for the week, to the delight of the children (and parents.)

 

Like two years ago, we brought food and cooked most of our own meals. We rented a lovely house and it was nice to slide a casserole in the oven and enjoy a home-cooked meal with little work. But the children's favorite meal was probably the hot dogs cooked over a fire on the beach!



On the way home, we spent the weekend with Ed's sister Jean and her family. We enjoyed another cookout and adventures with cousins. Several of you have asked how their family is doing. Thank you so much for your concern and prayers. It will soon be a year since the accident that took their husband and father. (I wrote about it here.) I don't have to tell you that it has been a difficult year. The Lord is faithful but do continue to remember them in prayer.

So that was our trip! Now I'm trying to find some sort of new routine in our lives since school is out and      our summer schedule has officially begun. Maybe regular blogging can become part of the routine again!

19 comments :

  1. Looks like a great vacation....how do you find houses for rent in that area? We need a new adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn-
      We searched online for rentals in the area. Both years we've been to the Outer Banks we've used Outer Beaches Reality with very satisfied results.
      Best wishes on your next adventure!
      Gina

      Delete
  2. How lovely, I live close to the beach so always took my children and still, even though they're grown I love to go to the beach and sit and read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful vacation. My soul always cries out for the beach. I'm hoping to go more this year since it is only about 2 hours away. Glad you guys had so much fun and got home safe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your posts and I'm glad your absence was for such a wonderful reason! I don't like beach crowds and I think I need to vacation earlier. Thank you for sharing your life with us. I think it is a breath of fresh air.

    Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a lovely holiday and how lucky your brother could share it with you. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like such a wonderful week. and yes, time away with children is an adventure, but rarely a vacation:) at least that is my experience!!! i don't like leaving my children behind either... but we are hoping to get away for a night or two this summer since i won't have a tiny baby and after the past few years it feels like we need a little time alone!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bek
      I'd be the first to say that couples need to spend time together! Ed and I have enjoyed time alone in the past. But for this trip, we just wanted to be together!

      Hope you all have a good time!
      Gina

      Delete
  7. Lovely pictures. I can't believe how much your youngest daughter has grown! Perhaps all that fresh air knocked you out. But sounds like you had a vaction to remember. Happy 10th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures!!! It looks like everyone had a great vacation. Thanks for sharing the pictures. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You weren't to far away from me. Lorinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy your posts so much. I was very touched by the last picture. I'm so sorry for the loss and the grief that your sister-in-law and nieces and nephews have to experience. We lost an almost 15 year old son 18 months ago and I know how long it takes to recover from traumatic loss. I prayed for your loved ones and I hope they are experiencing comfort in their grief journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun! We're one county over from Dare so we often head over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We went there once on a vacation many years ago and LOVED it. I would love to go back someday.We too went off season and we thought that was great. Looked like you all had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your site yesterday and have enjoyed reading your blog. What lighthouse is that in the picture, it is not Hatteras? I live just south of Hatteras close to Cape Lookout, this is a beautiful part of the world. Come see us again soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lighthouse pictured is on Bodie Island, north of Hatteras.
      We would love to visit that area again!
      Gina

      Delete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails