Monday, October 3, 2011
I see from my September list, that I still have things to do this fall. The late potato plants are still green, I'm still picking the last few tomatoes, and nothing has been tilled under for winter. I told Ed that this is one year that the tomatoes cages will probably stand in the garden until spring.
And at this point, I don't really care.
But maybe it will dry out enough this month to do some garden clean up. It is always nice to leave the garden as a clean slate, ready for spring planting.
October's Garden To-Do List
1. Plant some pansies and spring bulbs.
2. Make compost with the withered garden plants and falling leaves.
3. Plant garlic, if it dries enough to till.
4. Dig potatoes.
5. Trim off the asparagus, manure the bed, and cover with leaves.
6. Plant lettuce and spinach in the hoop house. (Since I kept forgetting to plant seeds, I just started some plants in the house to give them a head start and plan to transplant to the hoop house. If I'm not too late already.)
7. Clean up all garden areas and mulch all the perennial beds with chopped leaves.
What are you doing in your garden this month?