Monday, October 17, 2011

Caramelized Onion - Potato Gratin

With cooler weather comes a desire for comfort food. And this potato recipe is pure comfort food to me. I can't eat only one serving of this onion and potato dish!


Caramelized Onion - Potato Gratin


1 1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 T Parmesan cheese
3 T butter
2 larger sweet onion, sliced thinly
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 T flour
3 1/2 cup milk
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp red pepper
8 oz shredded cheese
3 lb potato, peeled and sliced

 Mix bread crumbs, parsley, and Parmesan together and set aside for topping.

Cook onion in butter for 15 minutes. Add garlic, cooking one more minute. Add flour and cook for one minute. Stir in milk and seasonings, whisking often until thick. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.

Layer potatoes and sauce in greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

7 comments :

  1. Yummo, I am going to make this dish this wknd. I love onions and cheese but together I LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm! Definitely the time of year for comfort food. I made a double batch of chicken pot pie for my birthday, so I'd have extra of my favorite food for breakfast, lunch and supper! I just ate the last bit today. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves Potato Gratin! I'll have to try making this for a surprise. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOw! That sounds just wonderful. With the arrival of Fall and cooler days that sort of dish just sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the "recette"

    marylin from France

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I made two of these last night for a potluck dinner. One had a layer of ham. Mine looked much darker than yours, but it was the best scalloped potato dish I've ever made. I rarely use a recipe for cooking, but I'm so glad I followed yours almost to the letter. So good!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails