Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pickled Hot Peppers

Another recipe that I'd like to try. This one from my mom.


Pickled Hot Peppers

1 1/2 pounds banana peppers,sliced thinly
1 pound jalapeno peppers, sliced thinly
1/4 pound serrano peppers, sliced thinly
6 cups vinegar
2 cups water
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, chopped 

Place the banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, and serrano peppers into a large pot. Add the vinegar, water, garlic, and onion. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes. 

Ladle peppers into jars, and fill to the top with the liquid, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. 

Can in boiling water canner for 10 to 15 minutes. Refrigerate jars after opening.

Note: Though peppers are low acid, the vinegar makes them safe for boiling water canning. But I'm no scientist so use any recipe on this site at your own risk!:)

3 comments :

  1. This looks like fun for my hubby who likes banana peppers on his sub sandwiches!
    I wish I had seen this (or at least thought twice) before I put all of my available peppers into today's salsa. The mysterious but probably habaneros from someone else's garden should have stayed out! :o My hubby likes hot salsa, but so far this is tasting a bit beyond hot to him ...Sooo, next batch will be very purposely mild. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very similar to the recipe I use - and looks very safe. :-)

    My husband inhales these and a few years ago said he didn't like them mushy, so now I just refrigerate them along with our pickles. Gook thing we have that extra fridge in the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this I could eat! I love hot stuff. When I made salsa with my mother-in-law this week, I just threw in a handful more jalepenos than her recipe calls for, and left all the seeds on instead of cleaning the peppers like she does. It was perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still learning how to be a joyful homemaker and I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails