Tuesday, August 9, 2011

August in My Garden




I know I haven't been around here much lately. But I haven't been on vacation. Unless picking beans, canning peaches, and making salsa is your idea of vacation!

In August, the garden comes into it's peak, at least in my neck of the woods. We've had some good food dribbling in, but now the fridge groans with fresh produce.


My menu planning centers on how to use up the most vegetables possible. Can I use seven zuchinni, five peppers, and three dozen ears of corn in tonight's supper? Probably not, but there is more out there to pick tomorrow.

Time to call the neighbor. Or start freezing.


Have I told you how much I love August? Even when it is busy. Even when I gauge my day's task on what is going to rot first. I just love, love, LOVE fresh eating. I could turn into a vegetarian this month. I love heaping a pizza so full of fresh tomato, zucchini, peppers, and onions that you can't find the crust. Hearing the sound of the pressure canner sizzling. Smelling ripe peaches on a bowl on the counter.


My August goal is to keep up with it all. Try not to let too much go to waste. And eat as much as I can!


I may try to plant some fall veggies in the empty places as the summer vegetables finish. I had almost decided not to do a fall garden. I've actually found gardening rather discouraging this summer. I think some of it was the emotional stress we've been under this summer. But it also has not been an ideal growing season. Spring was much too wet. Summer was very dry. A huge ground hog and large family of rabbits have taken the first fruits.Yesterday I found the mice had gotten into the kidney beans and consumed probably about half the crop.

But still God is good.  He has given us so much. And even sent rain this past week!


I love hearing what you are growing in your garden in August.

14 comments :

  1. We are not able to grow a garden where we live; I am learning to be content with what God has given.

    Even if you gain very little from your garden this year, you have been able to teach many lessons to your children- teamwork, reality of waiting on God for a good crop, work eithics, patience for the harvest, and many more I am sure you know of.
    Thank your for sharing the pictures of your sweet babies learning life-lessons from the garden. Just love your daughter trying to shuck corn...precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this last picture of your daughter with the onion braid. And the one husking the corn...priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are your boys doing??? Is that a Victor--- I want to say victrola and I know that's wrong! *L*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, don't be discouraged! The wonderful thing about planting a garden and having struggles with it is that you can change it up next year and do it differently! Try to focus on what did go well this year!!!!


    I enjoy reading your blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that photo of your boys frenching beans! We used to do that too. I have my mom's frencher, but I must say, I usually don't bother with it :)

    I have got to get canning. Done with all the vacations, ready to start canning and freezing. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's posts like these that make me want to pack up and come over to work for/with you in harvest time. Just to learn and enjoy!

    It's the end of winter here and since we're moving I have little else but lemons to harvest. It's the "on" year so our neighbours are very pleased they can have more than the usual share. I'm saying "grrr!" inside as I know how much lemon curd, pie, lemonade and preserves I could be making. It's just bad timing.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kids are beautiful, but that pizza looks absolutely wonderful! Now I'm hungry. Are you sure you wouldn't start a delivery service? ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a new crop of bush beans coming in, and some broccoli. We have tomatoes - they are taking forever to ripen. Cucumbers, yellow squash, peppers, carrots, onions....

    We've been getting a lot of rain this past week or so...kind of hope we don't get too much!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a terrific harvest you are getting Gina. And you are blessed with the cutest work crew ever! It does alwasy seem like the garden sputters off and on until August hits and then watch out! I am just learning how to can so I am interested in any tips/or recipies that you share. Enjoy your busy days :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gina,
    I was wondering if I could get your salsa recipe? We go thru alot of it so I thought I would can some this year! Charlene Heisey
    sunnyone1985@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Naptime Seamstress -
    That is a green bean frencher. It was my grandma's. I don't use it often but if I let my beans get too big, it works well.

    Charlene -
    Check the recipe category on the top of the page for my salsa recipe.

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're about a month ahead of us here in the cool NW - Sept. is the month that's like that for me. :-)

    But I am getting onions, potatoes, carrots, beets, cauliflower, zucchini, cukes, and beans. Plus a few precious tomatoes and waiting, waiting for the corn to ripen!

    Your kids are so beautiful- love seeing them and their smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can remember just a few short weeks ago picking a tomato here and there. How good those first few tomatoes were! Now, my oh my. We have tomatoes coming out of our ears! haha we can't can them fast enough. But they are still tasting mighty good! We started canning corn today. We have lots of various squash everyday. We've had some potatoes too. And of course tons of green beans. Lets see, what else...oh canteloupe is almost ready. Probably another week! This time of year is crazy for us, but we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My neighbor and I share a 10x20 foot plot at the community garden. After a serious "Tomato hornworm" invasion we now have loads of tomatoes ripening, more beans than we know what to do with, basil, cukes, acorn squash, brussel sprouts, dill, onions (these were not great producers), beets, broccoli and one lone cauliflower plant. Good eating!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails