Saturday, May 7, 2011

Help for Lettuce



Thanks to all you who shared your tips on how to get rid of the aphids who had taken over the lettuce in my cold frame. Several of you mentioned that the ants were probably caring for the aphids. Getting rid of the aphids would be impossible unless the ants too were persuaded to leave.

I decided to start with the simplest solution first. One reader suggested that I spray the plants with water to possibly knock off some of the aphids then use ant bait.


We have had lots of ant problems inside our house and the only ant bait that I've found to work is Terro. It comes in a liquid in a small bottle which you apply on a scrap of paper.

After spraying the lettuce vigorously with water, I placed several scraps of paper on the ground under the lettuce plants and dripped some Terro on the paper. Several days later, after more of our spring downpours, I replaced the paper and the Terro.


The result - a week later I had no aphids. Whether they died or moved the party elsewhere, I don't really care. I'm just happy that the aphids are gone without needing to spray my lettuce!

Thanks for your help! And for those who asked about my cold frame/hoop house, I wrote a post about it last year here.

3 comments :

  1. So glad you were able to do something that worked! :) Have an enjoyable weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lettuce looks beautiful!! I'm a little jealous--we have a few weeks before we can plant any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know. I have never had this pest problem before but we are a lot colder up here even in the cold frames.I shall write this down though for future references. Thanks

    Marlyn

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails