Wednesday, April 14, 2010

First Asparagus

The first meal of freshly picked asparagus is cause for celebration at our house. After a winter of eating canned, frozen, or store bought vegetables - nothing beats that first taste of spring!

Asparagus is so easy to prepare. No shelling or peeling required.

After a quick rinse, I trim off the bottom inch or two, if it is tough then cut it up for the pan.
Ed and I both grew up with asparagus served the same way. Though we now have other favorite recipes, this one is still a comfort food favorite.
After briefly cooking the asparagus just until tender. Then drain and place on a bed of toasted bread.
Pour over a simple white sauce.
Sprinkle chopped hard cooked eggs. Our chickens are laying well right now so I was generous with the eggs.
Sprinkle on some grated cheese and dig in!

4 comments :

  1. Both my husband and I tried asparagus for the first time this week- so it literally was our "first asparagus." We both loved it and are already talking about incorporating it in the garden in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gina- that looks so yummy to me- good comfort food for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious!!! I was wondering -- is the toast sort of cubed? I can't really tell from the picture. We don't have asparagus of our own, but I will definitely try this the next time I buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. T
    I do cube the toast - just sort tearing it into bite size pieces by hand. It is the way my mom always did it!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails